Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. We build smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models, and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture. For more insight on our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About the Role:
At Bowery, our Engineers are building the software that powers our smart farms. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll play a major part in idea generation, designing, prototyping, planning, and executing new software components for the BoweryOS. We’re a group of collaborators and in this role, you will develop apps and features that will be leveraged by our Data, Supply Chain, and Operations teams. This is a fantastic opportunity to have real ownership of projects and to be able to see your work come to life at our farms.
Our frontend software stack is primarily Vue.js and React. Our backend software stack includes Elixir services running in AWS and Phoenix + Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of our in-house built devices located in our farms. We're utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and Channels/WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI's.
This role is based out of our NYC HQ. We follow a hybrid working model.
What You’ll Do:
- Create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming
- Scale our technical infrastructure to support our rapid growth
- Develop & improve a core distributed backend system
- Develop systems to collect, process, and visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics
- Scale systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators
- Proactively identify opportunities to enhance developer productivity
Who You Are:
- You’ve used implementations of protocols like MQTT, XMPP, and AMQP to handle messaging between services in a distributed system
- You’re excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet
- You have familiarity or production-level experience in functional programming languages
- You have experience developing and scaling production web applications using Phoenix, Rails, Node, or similar backend MVC frameworks
- You proactively mitigate issues through test-driven development, continuous deployment, and thoughtful monitoring and alerting
- You are able to establish scope of assigned tasks, execute on them, and independently communicate status updates
- You participate in code reviews and give constructive feedback to peers
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates
- You’re confident in taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. To date, we have raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.