Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. Bowery builds smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture.
About The Role:
We are seeking a Senior Payroll Manager to oversee all payroll operations for Bowery Farming, including full-time, part-time, and contractor employees located in multiple states. The Payroll Manager will review payroll data and documents for inefficiencies and errors, and ensure payments are made on time. This hire must possess a strong understanding of payroll systems and module flow, and work to improve processes, policies, and procedures. This person will own the payroll process from start to finish and will be responsible for resolving issues as they arise and informing management as necessary.
What You'll Do:
- Independently process payroll for all employees in an accurate and timely manner and act as the lead point of contact for all payroll related inquiries and disputes
- Research and interpret applicable state, federal and organizational laws, guidelines, practices, policies, and procedures to ensure full compliance in all payroll-related matters
- Review and analyze current payroll and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations
- Partner with HR to ensure timely and accurate deductions of medical, dental, 401K, transit and other benefits; process all garnishments
- Prepare reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, nontaxable wages, etc.
- Prepare monthly payroll and related liabilities, payroll general ledger postings, reconciliations, and journal entries including compensation accruals
- Review general ledger with regard to payroll transactions
- Assist with ad-hoc financial analyses and projects
Who You Are:
- You have relevant years of experience as a Payroll Manager or a similar role at a fast-growing company with complex and diverse payroll needs (particularly experience working with both exempt and nonexempt employees in multiple states)
- You possess a general knowledge of state and federal payroll and tax regulations and have experience registering for new tax jurisdictions
- You have extensive experience with payroll and time and attendance systems
- You possess strong problem solving, data analysis, and evaluation skills and work with a sense of urgency and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- You are a very good communicator
- You are proficient in Microsoft Excel
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included, and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists, and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. Bowery has raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill. For more information on Bowery and its products, please visit www.BoweryFarming.comPress kit: https://boweryfarming.com/press/
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.