Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. We build smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models, and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture. For more insight on our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is seeking a Regional Automation Engineer to join our Asset Care & Reliability team to support operations for all active and future farming facilities. The Automation Engineer will work closely with the AC&R team in troubleshooting equipment faults, facilitating Root Cause Failure Analyses, developing an automation training framework, and supporting new automation technology deployment. The Automation Engineer will report to the Regional Director of Asset Care & Reliability and share support activities that keep our operations running smoothly, while preparing for the launch of our future farms.
What You'll Do
- Focus on the development of standards, operating procedures (SOPs), preventative maintenance descriptions (PMs), and automation training curriculaCoordinate Automation vendor support as required.
- Provide technical support for all Bowery Farming Maintenance Technicians.
- Travel to existing and future farms to assist with construction, commissioning, and attainment of farm output capacity targets.
- Generate Scope of Work and assist in the management of automation support contractors during the commissioning of new farms.
What You'll Have
- Experience in Manufacturing Operations or in Engineering (Controls, Automation, Electrical, or Maintenance).
- Experience leading remote construction teams.
- Experience managing fast track design/build projects or multiple significant upgrade projects.
- Experience leading Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) of automation equipment.
- Experience developing design documentation (functional specifications, operations manuals, mechanical and electrical schematics).
Who You Are:
- You’ve worked with automation systems and are comfortable with concepts surrounding both the software, networking, and the mechanical components.
- You're a team player and work well with others in the face of challenges and a common mission. Ability to multitask and prioritize diverse tasks, to hit hard deadlines, and to know when to escalate issues that arise.
- You thrive in ambiguity and play nice in the sandbox.
- Safety is your overriding priority and you think safety first in every situation.
- You possess strong interpersonal skills – seen as a natural team builder.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 40%.
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. To date, we have raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.