Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. We build smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models, and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture. For more insight on our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is seeking an Operations Supervisor who will oversee aspects of our daily growing operations in our indoor farms. Reporting to the General Manager, you will be responsible for leading, developing, and engaging a team and one of your main focuses will be motivating, mentoring, and coaching your team to become the best operators they can be. To achieve this, Operations Supervisors are problem solvers who are able to Set Big Bold Goals, interpret data, and deliver business results. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, retail and other functions, and your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry. This role will be based at Bowery Farming’s newest state-of-the-art modern farming facility in Baltimore, Maryland (Nottingham area).
*This position will be working the Back-Half Shift*
Thursday - Saturday, 5:00AM - 5:00PM & Every other Wednesday
What You’ll Do:
- Supervise an Operations team to ensure that the farm stays on schedule, from seeding to harvest to packaging to cleaning, & delivery
- Onboard and train new hires
- Maintain overall responsibility for the performance of the shift, including safety, quality, cost, productivity, and delivery
- Implement all SOPs and drive compliance with crop plans in partnership with the Senior Grower
- Plan shift and work schedules for all production staff on shift to ensure high efficiency & quality
- Maintain production areas to ensure compliance with company quality, sanitation and Food Safety standards
- Identify and implement methods and practices to achieve operational improvements in efficiency, quality, delivery, and operating profits
- Collect & analyze data in order to proactively identify production issues or develop plans to resolve existing issues
- Provide safe working environment by maintaining quality equipment and enforcing adherence to developed work practices
- Ensure employees have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
- Promote a culture of world class performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Provide coaching, teaching, and mentorship to a diverse and engaged team
- Influence and drive improvements to the Bowery Farming production software system
- Ensure all required KPI’s are met regarding facilities goals on safety, production, quality, and costs.
- Collaborate with leaders across Bowery to identify and understand operational opportunities for improvement
Who You Are:
- You have relevant years of experience in a leadership role in a related field
- You possess years of experience in manufacturing operations or engineering role with demonstrated ability to lead change
- You have a strong knowledge of warehouse management systems
- You understand Lean & Six Sigma process improvement techniques
- You have experience managing an OSHA compliance program
- You understand how to drive continuous improvement initiatives & culture
- You possess excellent analytical, problem solving, and superior management skills
- You are capable of strong mentoring and coaching to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- You have the ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- You demonstrate excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- You are detail & process orientated
- You have experience with farming and growing operations, and food safety and production is a plus
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. To date, we have raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.