We are the largest vertical farming company in the United States, designing and building smart indoor environments to reimagine the future of food. Through our network of smart indoor farms and proprietary end-to-end technology, we are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
Our farms are 100x+ more productive than traditional agriculture while using a fraction of the resources - all enabled by leading-edge technology. We are scaling quickly with five farms in operation, including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms for pioneering indoor Agriculture Science, and two commercial farms under development that will more than double our total production by 2023. Our brand has been in the market since 2016 and is currently sold in over 1,400 locations including Whole Foods, Ahold Delhaize, Amazon, Safeway/Albertsons, and Walmart.
We are backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt raised from investors including Fidelity, Temasek, Google Ventures, KKR, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Jeff Wilke, Tom Colicchio, José Andrés, and David Barber of Blue Hill.
For more insight into our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is looking for a passionate and committed Full-Time Farmer to join the Team. The R&D Farm Operator will be responsible for the execution of farming and R&D-related tasks in the R&D facility. With the goal of operational excellence, the R&D Farm Operator will work with the Farm Manager to execute the day-to-day operations of the Farm including seeding, transplanting, and harvesting. The Farm Operator will also work to collect R&D measurements and on continuous improvement projects.
In order to be considered for the Modern Farmer opportunity, please complete our WonScore assessment by clicking HERE.
What You’ll Do:
- Set up and maintenance of experimental systems
- Breakdown of experiments - clean trays, reservoirs, pipes, and rafts
- Plant Culture - work involved in seeding, transplanting, harvesting
- 60% farm operations & 40% data collection and processing on a daily basis
- Plant Science - mass measurements, assist in taking plant physiology measurements, data entry
Who You Are:
- Attentive to detail
- Ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
- A high level of ownership of the R&D operations
- Drive for innovation and continuous improvement
- Willingness to work occasionally on weekends when required
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included, and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists, and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Benefits and Perks:
- Starting hourly rate is $15.00/hour + annual increases
- Free benefits from Day 1 for employee (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Heavily subsidized benefits for your family from Day 1
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents (full-time employees)
- Competitive vacation and sick time off
- 401K & company stock
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Free Mental Health Resources and Wellness Benefits including Spring Health (personalized quality therapy and psychiatry for mental health needs), Headspace (unlimited access to guided meditation sessions, Aaptiv (virtual fitness classes), Carrot (family forming support), Quit Genius (support for quitting addictive habits)
- Uniforms and PPE provided by Bowery
- Free leafy greens & more…
Bowery Farming celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.
We gladly evaluate accommodations and do our very best to provide them to anyone who needs them. If you need any accommodations during the application or interview process, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org just letting us know you’d like to discuss an accommodation and we’ll respond right away. Please let us know if you have any questions about this process!
Our commitment to eliminating bias and ensuring pay equity goes beyond pay transparency. Click here (https://bit.ly/3hwUyq1) to learn more about how compensation works at Bowery, how we came up with the salary on this job posting, and what we’re doing to ensure your compensation is internally and externally equitable.