Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. We build smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models, and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture. For more insight on our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About The Role:
We are seeking a Maintenance Technician who will manage maintenance & facilities management operations in our indoor farm. The Maintenance Technician will be responsible for driving and maintaining the overall function of our automation, lighting & irrigation systems, leading resolution of equipment emergencies. Unlike traditional Maintenance Technician roles, you’ll also be supported by Bowery’s proprietary farm management software, BoweryOS, which delivers unprecedented support in monitoring equipment performance and maintaining efficient operations. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, business operators, and farm operations, and your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry.
What You'll Do:
- First responder for Grow Area systems/equipment, not limited to Fire Suppression Systems, HVAC, Electrical Distribution, Emergency Generator, Solar Panel (PV System), and Plumbing systems, networking, and general facility maintenance, responding to emergencies whether remotely or on-site.
- Monitor and Lead repairs to building & support equipment
- Troubleshoot electrical, mechanical, fire suppression, networking, and ancillary systems to a root cause and in house repair
- Document and maintain preventative maintenance logs as required by NFPA, OSHA, and local and federal authorities having jurisdiction
- Manage vendor service calls and on-site service to ensure proper maintenance of Facility and Farm supporting equipment
- Document root cause analysis for emergency events causing interruption or downtime for farming operations to senior management
- Supervise and execute projects in the field using internal and external resources or vendors to assist in the kick-off through completion of projects
- Other ad hoc projects and duties as assigned and directed
Who You Are:
- Knowledge and experience in electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems
- Knowledge of procedures relating to Facility Management required
- Ability to read schematics, wiring diagrams, blueprints
- Superior communication, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of equipment, controls, and building automation maintenance.
- Effectively accomplish tasks with little to no supervision
- High level of motivation, initiative, and be a self-starter
- Good attendance and punctuality
- Work flexible schedule as required by operational demands
- Support extensive walking, climbing stairs and ladders, occasional lifting etc. depending on work requirements
- Knowledge of industry safety best practices and standards
- Knowledge of NEC, OSHA, NFPA, DEP, DEC, HAZMAT, and SQF regulations
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Benefits and Perks:
- Free benefits from Day 1 for employee (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Heavily subsidized benefits for your family from Day 1
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents (full-time employees)
- Competitive vacation and sick time off
- 401K & company stock options
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Free Mental Health Resources and Wellness Benefits including Spring Health (personalized quality therapy and psychiatry for mental health needs), Headspace (unlimited access to guided meditation sessions, Aaptiv (virtual fitness classes), Carrot (family forming support), Quit Genius (support for quitting addictive habits)
- Uniforms and PPE provided by Bowery
- Free leafy greens & more…
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. To date, we have raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.