Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. We build smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models, and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture. For more insight on our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About the Role:
Bowery Farming is looking for a passionate and committed Grower to join the team! You will be responsible for the crop health of each farm, monitoring crop health and performance in our growing facilities. With the goal of operational excellence, the Grower will leverage software-driven data collection & analysis to manage the growing environment and cultural practices at Bowery’s farms, ensuring the highest quality produce makes its way to our customers. Working with colleagues in Operations, Data Science, Engineering, and AgScience, the Grower will ensure that environmental conditions, plant nutrition, and practices are maintained according to Bowery standards. You will also be implementing new innovations into production.
What You'll Do:
- Analyze yield and quality in our farms, troubleshooting crop issues and diagnose health, growth, or quality issues accordingly
- Complete root cause analysis for an issues using data and develop action plans for cross-team execution
- You’ll be a critical partner in transitioning new products from R&D to an operational environment
- Create and manage pest and disease management programs
- Continually test and improve cultivation practices and products in partnership with the R&D and Ops teams
- Document procedures in SOPs and provide training for techs and Farm Operators
Who You Are:
- You are passionate about our mission and excited to revolutionize agriculture
- You can work independently and are comfortable in working in highly collaborative, fast paced environments
- You have the versatility to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences to ensure the mission is accomplished
- You have a strong horticulture background and are comfortable with the underlying principles of CEA agriculture
- You are an excellent oral and written communicator who uses data to support decisions
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and satisfaction of your teammates
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. To date, we have raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.