Farm Production Operator
- Kearny, NJ
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
We’re building the techiest farms in the world. Different from traditional farming, our farms depend on automation technologies as an integrated component of delivering each day’s harvest. We’re looking for technicians that have experience configuring, monitoring and running production on complex systems. Examples may include ASRS, conveyance, 3D printing, high volume assembly, food processing, robotic processing or custom automation. Your experience may include none of these but you consider yourself a savvy technologist who’s not intimidated by either new software or gears and motors.
What You'll Do:
- Work up 3-4 days per week from 6:00AM - 5:30PM with breaks and lunch
- Get the automation system ready for production and monitor its performance during the production day. You’ll be engaged an evolving set of tools that you’ll be responsible for using and providing feedback on.
- Align with the production team on creating the natural interactions between farm operators and automation.
- Team with the mechanics and engineers to identify opportunities and test their mechanical and software based solutions.
Who You Are:
- You’ve worked with automation systems and are comfortable with concepts surround both the software and the mechanical components. (You don’t need to be a software engineer or a mechanic!)
- Your somewhat of a power user of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office products
- You’ve had experience with User Interfaces that connect to industrial equipment
- You’re a team player and work well with others in the face of challenges and a common mission
- Safety is your overriding priority and you think safety first in every situation.
- You’re looking to build a future with a company that is a leader in the Ag-Tech space.
Bowery's headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
Back to top