Embedded Systems Engineer
- New York, NY
Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. Bowery builds smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture.
This is an opportunity to join a growing team of electrical, mechanical and software engineers and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty. Hardware engineering at Bowery involves developing electronics solutions that power a modern farm and provide tools for agricultural R&D. This involves unique industrial control systems, environmental sensor technology, data collection, computer vision systems, and farm automation. You’ll be involved with idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of firmware and hardware for our Bowery IoT fleet. Our current hardware technologies are facilitated by the industrial version of the Raspberry Pi, Altium Designer (ECAD), SolidWorks (MCAD), the Nerves IoT platform, and AWS integration. We currently have thousands of 1st party Bowery designed devices deployed on-premise in our farms running on our in-house BoweryOS system.
What You’ll Do
- Create innovative IoT solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside electrical engineers, data scientists, software engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Develop electronic hardware and firmware for our 1st party embedded electronics solutions that facilitate plant growth, monitor plant health, and allow the BoweryOS to know more about critical growing environmental characteristics throughout our facilities.
- Assist in supporting manufacturing runs of our BoweryOS hardware solutions for deployment in a new Bowery farm.
- Contribute to innovative R&D projects that advance our understanding of plant health and the state of Bowery’s modern farming technology platform and capabilities.
- Alongside the BoweryOS and other cross-functional partnerships, identify opportunities to optimize our process, our work, and propose solutions to unique challenges.
What You'll Have
- You have experience developing electronics for embedded processors using EDA software like Altium Designer
- You have excellent knowledge integrating with embedded data bus protocols such as UART/USART, I2C, SPI, and digital interfaces like USB. Wireless communication like BLE, Wifi or Zigbee is a plus.
- You are familiar with circuit board design rules for high speed communication, analog signals, IPC standards, and DFM/DFT
- You are comfortable debugging digital hardware using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and similar tools
- You are competent in collaborating with engineers to develop factory acceptance testing used to facilitate manufacturing of our unique hardware solutions
- You have some experience developing firmware for embedded processors as well as software for embedded Linux systems, e.g. embedded C, C++, Nerves, Python, etc.
- Bonus: You have experience working with the Nerves IoT platform, the Elixir programming language, MQTT message bus, and/or AWS
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. Bowery has raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill. For more information on Bowery and its products, please visit www.BoweryFarming.comPress kit: https://boweryfarming.com/press/
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Back to top