Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. We build smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models, and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture. For more insight on our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About The Role:
As the Director of Business Development for Bowery Farming, you will have the unique opportunity to be part of an industry that is poised for unprecedented growth with an organization that is revolutionizing the future of produce. In this role, you will be responsible for securing new accounts across all channels of business, developing new strategic business relationships, and creating new segments of business to support the profitable revenue growth of each of our farms. In addition, this role will be responsible for sourcing and managing offload partners as well as Trade Shows & Expos.
The right candidate will have a deep knowledge of the produce industry, a solid understanding of the channels and customers to pursue, and a network of contacts and relationships within this category. The Director of Business Development will report to our Senior Vice President of Sales.
What You'll Do:
- Build a business plan to support corporate OKRs that will deliver against new customer acquisition targets, sales revenue, and pound goals, and profit
- Create a strategy that will secure new distribution of Bowery products in channels beyond retail, that elevates the brand, improves profit, and supports the sales of our farms
- Utilize industry knowledge, expertise, and existing relationships within produce to identify revenue opportunities through networking, relationships, and aggressive & creative field sales techniques
- Support the cross-functional needs of farm expansion plans as we expand into new markets
- Collaborate with the other commercial team members including the VP of Regional Customers & New Business, Director of National Accounts, and the Director of Field Sales
- Achieve established growth and profitability targets for assigned customers and farms
- Engage in analysis of sales shipment and consumption data, new customer sales forecasting projections, product margins, and customer and farm P&Ls in the assessment and recommendation of new channels and customers
- Create, optimize, and maintain collaborative relationships with HQ cross-functional partners, and customers field management to include Sales, Marketing, Farm Operations & Leadership teams
- Continue to expand knowledge of market and industry trends, competitors, and leading customer strategies. Bring forth a proactive point-of-view and recommendations on how to win within each channel
Who You Are:
- You have in-depth knowledge and a strong history of working in the produce
- You have experience selling produce and knowledge of cold chain management
- You have an understanding of the channels beyond retail, and how they operate, including cost, margin, distribution, and marketing support required
- You have experience negotiating complex sales contracts and delivering sales quotas
- You have a strong track record of selling, winning, and growing business
- You possess excellent selling and negotiation skills, written and verbal communication skills
- You have strong analytical skills with the ability to think and lead strategically
- You have experience managing multiple projects against multiple deadlines, dealing with ambiguity, and learning on the fly
- You're comfortable with traveling (50% travel required)
- You are enthusiastic about Bowery’s mission; you have a passion for improving our food system through the use of technology
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. To date, we have raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.