Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. We build smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models, and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture. For more insight on our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About the Role:
Bowery is seeking an experienced Agricultural Systems Manager to focus on daily critical system operations that promote crop yield and quality in our farms. You will be responsible for the system health of each farm, supporting the introduction and operationalization of new products, and be a critical partner in analyzing datasets, presenting results to help guide key business decisions around yield and quality performance. You’ll be supported by Bowery’s proprietary farm management software, BoweryOS, which delivers unprecedented support towards monitoring crop development and maintaining efficient operations. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, growers, business operators, and farm operations where your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry. In partnership with a Grower, you will provide input around crop variety trials, the development of Bowery’s proprietary BoweryOS software, and the overall direction of our new product development and yield-focused Agricultural Sciences team. This is a multi-farm role focused on an expanding number of farms and will require 50% travel to Bowery Farms in MD and PA. Travel will drop down to 10% after the first 4-months in role.
What You'll Do:
- You’ll work with a team of Agricultural Systems Managers to ensure farm health is maintained across critical systems, disease and seed management as well as nutrient and environmental performance.
- Diagnose crop performance and provide feedback to the Agricultural Operations and Agricultural Science teams.
- You’ll support our food safety program by optimizing system performance to manage environments and spaces more effectively.
- You’ll influence daily activity and recommend new techniques and processes that will make our farm operators more efficient and effective.
- You’ll recommend new monitoring and control systems that give Bowery increasing levels of control on the most important variables for plant growth.
Who You Are:
- You have experience in controlled environment agricultural (CEA) environments such as hydroponics, aeroponics, or aquaponics.
- You have a familiarity with the major technical systems of an indoor farm (irrigation, lighting, HVAC, nutrients, food safety, etc) and familiarity with the sensors and analyses that are used to diagnose their performance.
- You are “tech fluent” and excited about the prospect of helping to build new technology to change the nature of farming.
- You have demonstrated experience in basic water chemistry and nutrient management. You are experienced in collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting complex data.
- You are able to intuitively determine system issues and root cause complex issues in a growing environment, and can recommend and efficiently implement changes to remedy common issues.
- You are an excellent oral and written communicator who easily shifts between technical and non-technical discussions.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and satisfaction of your teammates.
- You believe a better future is possible, set big bold research goals, get focused quickly, and take your work seriously.
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. To date, we have raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.