Agricultural Science R&D Operations Lead
- Kearny, NJ
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About the Role:
Bowery is looking for a passionate and committed individual to join the AgScience team as the R&D Operations Lead. In this role, the R&D Ops Lead will drive excellence in R&D operations ensuring timely delivery of high quality research data. In partnership with AgScientists, the R&D Ops Lead will develop comprehensive work plans to ensure that R&D priorities and goals are met. In addition, the R&D Ops Lead will drive systems and process improvements that improve and expand the scope of capabilities in R&D.
What You'll Do:
- Management of the growing operations of the Bowery R&D team including scheduling, monitoring and maintenance of experiments at the R&D facilities
- Developing, monitoring and reporting of KPIs that provide insights into R&D performance, resource use and data quality
- Leading and developing the team to streamline production processes, increase pipeline capacity, improve plant quality and experimental compliance.
- Ensuring that R&D farm health is maintained across critical systems including irrigation, LEDs, HVAC and fertigation systems.
- Developing and maintaining project management processes to ensure that AgScience objectives and key results are on track
- Championing workplace safety and leading development and improvement of plant growth facility safety protocols
Who You Are:
- You have a strong knowledge of plant physiology, horticultural, or plant sciences with experience in a high tech greenhouse, vertical farm or other controlled environment
- You are knowledgable in growing leafy greens, herbs and fruiting crops in a controlled environment
- You are able to lead and develop a team of hourly employees as Farm Supervisors and Operators.
- You are capable of work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
- You are curious & innovative when using technology in plant science
Bowery's headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
Back to top