Lead Product Designer
Book of the Month is looking for a product designer who is obsessed with building great products to lead our product design efforts.
Book of the Month is a monthly membership for contemporary readers, a way of discovering—and buying—the best new books to read now. We have been growing rapidly ever since we relaunched the brand in late 2015. We seek to design a digital product that balances the beautiful, the functional, and the enjoyable, across any device.
The successful candidate will wear many hats: From building preliminary wireframes to developing prototypes and interaction flows to producing detail page designs, you will collaborate with product managers, engineers, and graphic designers to launch new and improved features for the BOTM site and mobile app (coming soon). You will also have the opportunity to define and guide the overall product design aesthetic, and how we translate our brand to our digital products.
Please include a link to a portfolio of your work.
Designs we like: www.honest.com, www.dollarshaveclub.com, and www.barkbox.com, Medium, Snapchat, Instagram, Outlook on iOS.
- Participate in and lead brainstorming sessions
- Support your design decisions with data, user recordings, etc.
- Quickly translate ideas into multiple lightweight prototypes for preliminary user testing.
- Perform user research to gain feedback on your designs and insight to potential future designs.
- Develop high fidelity UI designs and specs based on prototyping and user research results.
- Work closely with engineering and product management to build your designs.
- Develop a formal style guide and enforce those guidelines across all site designs and product releases.
- Work in a lean/agile/iterative process. Comfortable with “good enough” as a design decision when it is right for the business/product as a whole.
- Have at least +5 years of experience in a product-focused, design role.
- Care deeply about your career. It's not just a job to you; you want to do something great and you are willing to put in the hard work to make it happen.
- Can provide detailed, user-centric explanations of your design decisions.
- Are extremely detail oriented (Really, extremely)
- Experience designing and documenting large-scale, web-based applications.
- Familiarity with usability metrics, relevant HCI theory, and UX best practices.
- Experience leading sketching/ideation sessions.
- Experience taking high-level sketches and ideas and translating them into wireframes and user flows.
- Experience developing complex, clickable prototypes.
- Experience building pixel-perfect interface designs for development.
- Expert level knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and/or Sketch (your preference).
Meet Some of Book Of The Month's Employees
Head Of Content
Jennifer oversees BOTM’s content, including social media, the blog, and other content partnerships. She works closely with media companies, influencers, and celebrities on BOTM collaborations.
Back to top