Head of Product Design
Book of the Month is looking for a product designer who is obsessed with building great products to lead our product design efforts. In late 2015, we relaunched Book of the Month, a powerful brand with 90 years of history, as a monthly subscription e-commerce service that provides avid readers with a with fun, convenient, and affordable way to discover and buy new books each month. We have been growing rapidly since the relaunch. We seek to design a digital product that balances the beautiful, the functional, and the enjoyable, across any device.
The successful candidate will wear many hats: From building preliminary wireframes to developing prototypes and interaction flows to producing detail page designs, you will collaborate with product managers, engineers, and graphic designers to create great products. A designer with in-browser design skills - or a strong desire to learn those skills - will thrive, as our designers work closely with our design-focused, front-end engineering team. The candidate may also have the opportunity to lead the design effort to bring the BOTM experience to a native app.
Please include a link to a portfolio of your work. If you prefer a freelance or contract work arrangement, please let us know.
Designs we like: Subscription Commerce: www.honest.com, www.dollarshaveclub.com, and www.barkbox.com. Content Companies: Medium, Snapchat, Instagram, Outlook on iOS
About the Role
- Participate in and lead brainstorming sessions
- Support your design decisions with data, user recordings, etc.
- Quickly translate ideas into multiple lightweight prototypes for preliminary user testing.
- Perform user research to gain feedback on your designs and insight to potential future designs.
- Develop high fidelity UI designs and specs based on prototyping and user research results.
- Work closely with engineering and product management to build your designs.
- Work in a “mobile first” mindset.
- Develop a formal style guide and enforce those guidelines across all site designs and product releases.
- Work in a lean/agile/iterative process. Comfortable with “good enough” as a design decision when it is right for the business/product as a whole.
- Love to read contemporary fiction<< -- This is important!
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a product-focused, design role.
- Care about your career. It's not just a job to you; you want to do something great and you are willing to put in the hard work to make it happen.
- Can provide detailed, user-centric explanations of your design decisions.
- Are extremely detail oriented (Really, extremely)
- Experience designing and documenting large-scale, web-based applications.
- Familiarity with usability metrics, relevant HCI theory, and UX best practices.
- Experience leading sketching/ideation sessions.
- Experience taking high-level sketches and ideas and translating them into wireframes and user flows.
- Experience developing clickable prototypes.
- Experience building pixel-perfect interface designs for development.
- Expert level knowledge of Photoshop and/or Sketch (your preference).
Back to top