Head of Product Design
Book of the Month is looking for a product designer who is obsessed with building great products to lead our product design efforts. In late 2015, we relaunched Book of the Month, a powerful brand with 90 years of history, as a monthly subscription e-commerce service that provides avid readers with a with fun, convenient, and affordable way to discover and buy new books each month. We have been growing rapidly since the relaunch. We seek to design a digital product that balances the beautiful, the functional, and the enjoyable, across any device.
The successful candidate will wear many hats: From building preliminary wireframes to developing prototypes and interaction flows to producing detail page designs, you will collaborate with product managers, engineers, and graphic designers to create great products. A designer with in-browser design skills - or a strong desire to learn those skills - will thrive, as our designers work closely with our design-focused, front-end engineering team. The candidate may also have the opportunity to lead the design effort to bring the BOTM experience to a native app.
Please include a link to a portfolio of your work. If you prefer a freelance or contract work arrangement, please let us know.
Designs we like: Subscription Commerce: www.honest.com, www.dollarshaveclub.com, and www.barkbox.com. Content Companies: Medium, Snapchat, Instagram, Outlook on iOS
About the Role
- Participate in and lead brainstorming sessions
- Support your design decisions with data, user recordings, etc.
- Quickly translate ideas into multiple lightweight prototypes for preliminary user testing.
- Perform user research to gain feedback on your designs and insight to potential future designs.
- Develop high fidelity UI designs and specs based on prototyping and user research results.
- Work closely with engineering and product management to build your designs.
- Work in a “mobile first” mindset.
- Develop a formal style guide and enforce those guidelines across all site designs and product releases.
- Work in a lean/agile/iterative process. Comfortable with “good enough” as a design decision when it is right for the business/product as a whole.
- Love to read contemporary fiction<< -- This is important!
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a product-focused, design role.
- Care about your career. It's not just a job to you; you want to do something great and you are willing to put in the hard work to make it happen.
- Can provide detailed, user-centric explanations of your design decisions.
- Are extremely detail oriented (Really, extremely)
- Experience designing and documenting large-scale, web-based applications.
- Familiarity with usability metrics, relevant HCI theory, and UX best practices.
- Experience leading sketching/ideation sessions.
- Experience taking high-level sketches and ideas and translating them into wireframes and user flows.
- Experience developing clickable prototypes.
- Experience building pixel-perfect interface designs for development.
- Expert level knowledge of Photoshop and/or Sketch (your preference).
Meet Some of Book Of The Month's Employees
Head Of Content
Jennifer oversees BOTM’s content, including social media, the blog, and other content partnerships. She works closely with media companies, influencers, and celebrities on BOTM collaborations.
Back to top