Head of Photography
We are looking for a creative and unique professional photographer to lead all aspects of our brand and product photography. In late 2015, we relaunched Book of the Month, a powerful brand with 90 years of history, as a monthly subscription e-commerce service that provides avid readers with a fun, convenient, and affordable way to discover and buy new books each month. We have been growing rapidly since the relaunch.
Each month we pick five new books – that means we need dozens of new product and lifestyle shots each month for website heroes, Facebook/Instagram ads, and much more. As the Head of Photography, you will be in charge of conceptualizing photo shoots, communicating your ideas to the team for feedback and approval, and then executing all aspects of the shoots. The successful candidate will not only be an excellent photographer but will have a proven creative sensibility that is in line with our brand and appeals to our target demographic. For reference, our members are typically women, aged 20-35, who love to read and are avid consumers of culture and content on social media platforms.
**Please include a link to your instagram and/or portfolio in your application**
About the Role
- Develop and own a calendar for all photography production needs, working closely with the team to proactively understand future needs. Shoots will include product, lifestyle, celebrity, and brand photography.
- Conceptualize and art direct shoots based on (a) member feedback (b) our members’ Instagram (c) overall brand strategy (d) your own instincts (e) direction from the team. Develop storyboards and sketches as needed.
- Book all talent, styling, propping, and locations as needed.
- Light self-editing of photography and coordinating with outside photo editors when required.
- Experience shooting both still life (product) and lifestyle photography, and an expert in at least one of the two.
- Excellent understanding of how to use natural lighting
- You possess a proven, on-brand Instagram account (you will not be asked to post to your account on behalf of BOTM)
- Willingness to work on all aspects of a shoot. You don’t require a huge staff, but know how to source additional talent (make-up, hair, models, etc.) when it is required.
- Extremely professional, well-organized, and self-directed.
- +++ if you love reading and books.
***Given the nature of the work, we are also willing to consider freelance photographers***
Meet Some of Book Of The Month's Employees
Head Of Content
Jennifer oversees BOTM’s content, including social media, the blog, and other content partnerships. She works closely with media companies, influencers, and celebrities on BOTM collaborations.
Back to top