Tech Group Product Manager - Payments, Horizontal Services
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
Booking.com is the world's leading accommodation site but boasts a small, start-up feel. Our vision is to provide the best accommodations at the best prices for all our travellers, no matter what their travel purpose or budget may be. With over 1 million room nights booked every day in over 1 million accommodations worldwide, our mission is to make travel, experience, and exploration accessible for everyone, everywhere. As our business is constantly growing, we are looking for product owners to join our team, impact our users on a daily basis and take our product to the next level.
Payments is an ever-changing, complex, competitive, and extremely exciting industry. More than ever before, in order to accomplish Booking.com's mission ("making it easier for everyone to experience the world"), we need to offer a frictionless payment experience. In that context, the Payments department is in charge of creating delightful payment experiences for bookers and merchants alike, and help internal clients (Accommodations, Transportation, Attractions...) grow their businesses.
Payments scale fast. Across multiple internal payments verticals (e.g. Customer Experience, Partner Experience etc.), we already have quite a few services, holding multiple flows and are probably going to double the functionality with upcoming projects.
Dealing with money comes with a big responsibility! Payments horizontal services is the track responsible for delivering tooling & the building blocks that can help teams in Payments to deliver high quality software for our customers. We believe that the only way to scale to achieve a North star Payments vision is to invest in the shared infrastructure as a way to boost systems flexibility, reliability, and time-to-market.
Our building blocks include a Payments API Gateway, Pay Data Platform, Pay Instruments, Pay Reliability and Pay Quality building blocks/teams. There are a lot of uncovered opportunities in existing (and currently not even envisioned blocks), and we are looking for a person passionate to turn them into reality for the benefit of business.
As a Tech Group Product Manager you'll lead tech product teams through the research, design, and development, and optimization of solutions to grow 5 teams in Payments Horizontal Services track.
You will drive the product vision, direct strategic initiatives and the creation of product roadmaps in collaboration with your product teams and your main stakeholders.
You take full end to end responsibility for your product:
- Develop and own the long-term product vision and inspire your teams and Product Managers to achieve the vision by sharing your message effectively.
- Establish a strategy and roadmap to make the vision a reality.
- Drive regular and periodic reviews of these roadmaps across product & tech and relevant stakeholders and contributors (Payments verticals, clients, infrastructure teams)
- Support Product Managers in translating customer insights, company direction, industry developments into teams' long- and short- term priorities.
- Ensure Product Managers deliver well-written, detailed PRDs/user stories with clear acceptance criteria.
- Work closely with key stakeholders to understand user needs with data, identify gaps in our offerings and develop product requirements.
- Because your work is data-driven, you will define key business and success metrics, track them, and integrate learnings' back into the organization and product plan.
- Because your product is technical, you will often go beyond classical product boundaries to find technical insights and solutions for business benefit together with engineering colleagues (Managers Software Development, Engineering Managers, Tech Leads)
- Because your product is a Platform placed horizontally, you will work a lot with internal payments stakeholders to meet their needs in a pluggable way (balancing between bringing value generic but still stay away from specific business logic)
- Benchmark our solutions against industry standards and competitors for innovation, and operational excellence.
- Mentor and guide the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management and coaching.
- Passionate about infrastructure and reliability and have a proven track record with building platform products
- 6+ years of experience in Product Management (preferably as a Group Product Manager), Engineering or Technology Strategy role.
- Bachelor's / Master's degree in engineering, computer science or a related discipline is preferred.
- Proven ability to understand and discuss technical concepts and architectures, balance trade-offs, continuously assess compliance, business, and technical risks, as well as evaluate new ideas and understand the industry trends.
- Passionate to build a technical Platform supporting the whole Payments department
- Experience with managing and coaching teams of Product Managers as direct reports.
- Previous hands-on experience with designing and building large scale software products/systems is a big plus.
- Proven experience of creating and leading strategic initiatives in e-commerce technology at scale is a big plus.
- Excellent communication skills are required - Being able to both communicate effectively both strategic vision and specific details to various stakeholders, from senior leadership to individual project members. Being able to write clear and concise product requirements, status updates and product results. Proven ability to drive alignment with business and product leaders on Booking's strategy and plan to accelerate delivery of the right go-forward enterprise architecture with a platform product in mind.
- Strong analytical skills - Able to interpret data and trends, diagnose problems, and recommend effective action plans to resolve issues.
- Strong organisational and project management skills - Someone with responsibility to ensure multiple projects are completed in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Experience with stakeholder management (finance, budgeting, team management, recruitment, external customers).
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills are essential.
This position is open to worldwide candidates. We provide assistance for you and your family with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have successfully relocated 300+ technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year.
- Headquarters located in one of the most vibrant cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse, unique colleagues from every corner of the world
Back to top