Tax Manager - US SALT
Tax Manager US State and Local Taxes (SALT)
Booking.com, part of Booking Holdings (previously the Priceline Group) listed at NASDAQ, is Planet Earth's #1 Accommodation Site. Every day, more than 1.5 million room nights are reserved through our website. We are growing rapidly, innovating our business and shaping the OTA industry.
Due to the ongoing expansion of Booking.com's activities in the US and the US local regulatory tax developments, we are looking for State and Local tax (SALT) expertise in our team. The main focus of this position is providing support in managing local tax matters in the US including the compliance with local tax regulations, the computation and payment of tax and the relationships with the external tax advisors. You will be part of the international Finance team of the Booking.com group (approx. 500 professionals, mostly based in Amsterdam).
We prefer this role to be based in Amsterdam (Booking.com's headquarters) where Booking.com's entire tax department currently sits. If this is not possible for our preferred candidate, we might be open to discuss the option of working in an office of Booking.com's support company in the US (Booking.com (USA) Inc). You will report directly into one of our Senior Tax Managers.
The role involves close interaction with our entire tax team, our parent company (Booking Holdings based in Norwalk, Connecticut), other brands in the Booking Holdings group, our international offices, business managers, functional teams and other finance colleagues. Therefore it is essential that you have excellent management and communication skills in English.
Due to the rapid growth of the organization, the tasks and duties of this role may evolve over time. You will be keen to develop and grow within the role and to take on additional challenges and responsibilities as they occur. It is a responsible and independent role. The role requires travelling to the US.
- Provide support to Booking.com tax team (e.g.):
- Ensure compliance with US State and Local Taxes;
- Support in US SALT planning strategies;
- Contribute to tax awareness and appreciation within the group;
- Project/coordination responsibilities;
- Answer daily ad-hoc tax issues, potentially also in the area of other taxes (Federal tax, CIT, Wage Tax, WHT, etc.);
- Coordinate the work of our tax advisors;
- Interface with outside advisors to manage Booking.com's international structure;
- Willingness to travel to the US often.
- University degree in Taxation, Law, Economics or Accounting (or equivalent);
- Preferably 6-8 years of US SALT working experience within a big 4 and/or international environment;
- Excellent knowledge of US SALT regulation and local US tax compliance;
- Familiar with and/or affinity with digital economy/e-commerce challenges (e.g. marketplace facilitator bills and short term rental regulations). This role offers the opportunity to learn and grow on this topic massively.
- In house tax experiences is a plus.
- Self starter, flexible, energetic, passionate, self-motivated, and results-oriented professional;
- Accurate, able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines, and comfortable working in a fast turnaround environment;
- Ability to think strategically, multi-task, and work effectively and efficiently with minimum direction;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of management;
- Ability to have good grasp of the detail whilst understanding the "big picture", and to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously;
- Organized, proactive and common sense;
- Ability to be a hands-on deliverer;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) in English;
- Social and a team player.
Back to top