Staff Software Engineer (Java)
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. We are responsible for accommodation growth, with clear ownership of all marketing, product and supply related to accommodations. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most varied selection of properties.
The Selection and Supply technology organization focuses on providing platform products (web/app/api) for our partners and providers along with the core supply services to support the accommodation business. Our connectivity API's / Core Services is the cornerstone of our marketplace, supporting the connected ecosystem with product, tech and commercial solutions and thereby enabling accommodation partners to be set up for success at Booking.com and deliver a great guest experience.. The teams focus are on integration platform API's and Services that enable the accommodation partners to use Booking.com products. The system serves hundreds of millions requests per day, facilitating the flow of availability and accommodation reservation data.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you collaborate effectively to align our technology vision to our business strategy, with strong customer-focus. You take the lead in shaping the future of Java at Booking.com, building the developers' community and inspiring others to do their best work. You will drive our re-platforming efforts in building a layer of performant and reliable services that process billions requests per day and help product teams innovate faster. You will lead the technical teams that will play a pivotal role in the modernisation of our technology platform and ensuring successful business delivery while maintaining engineering/operational excellence.
- Combine hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members,
- Solve business problems, work cross-functionally and lead initiatives to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com's Experiences Tech organization,
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do,
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts and proactively share your knowledge to help your colleagues grow,
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community,
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment - turn "my ideas" into "our ideas".
- You have 10+ years of experience as a Software Developer working with distributed systems and high-load services;
- 7+ years of hands on experience in Java; Node'js experience is a plus
- 5+ years of experience in building services and transformation to SOA architecture
- 5+ years of experience in MySQL, Cassandra, Kafka and RDBMS
- 3+ years of experience with AWS Cloud platform; GCP is a plus
- At least 3+ years of experience in leading skilled development teams.
- Adept at driving technology initiatives to deliver successful business outcomes.
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively,
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and collaborate with people at all levels,
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide;
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture;
- With over 70 different nationalities within the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and grow your career in a multicultural environment;
- Various opportunities to grow technically and personally via side projects, hackathons, conferences and your involvement in the community;
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam last year alone!
- We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top