Sr. Software Developer
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth's #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travelers and the accommodation partners.
We are not afraid to experiment, think big or aim high!
Based in the beautiful city of Amsterdam, our technology department is over 1500 strong.
We believe that diversity makes us stronger – with over 60 different nationalities in the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and develop your career in a multicultural environment.
As well as working independently, you will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team and across teams/sub departments. Our development strategy is agile and we work in small Scrum teams of 5-7. We do several code rollouts every day, are data-driven and do extensive A/B testing on both user and partner facing platforms.
- 50% coding, 50% working with developers
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on
- Focus on moving the business forward, be pragmatic about technology choices
- Always keep the customer at the center of everything you do
- Have a keen interest on the business, not just any given technical problem
- Lead initiatives for improvement of development processes and business opportunities for your team's product and the company as a whole by impacting multiple products across the business.
- Identify, foster, and proactively help colleagues to grow professionally, taking a significant role in onboarding new team members
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing or other recruitment efforts
- Represent Booking.com values, both in the company and in the external community
- Advocate a collaborative working environment – make "my ideas" into "our ideas"
- Lead, manage and resolve technical or design discussions or conflicts
- 7+ years of experience as a software developer
- Thought leader (leader in the field of own expertise)
- Strong and demonstrable programming skill, using 2+ server- side programming languages
- 1+ years of experience mentoring, coaching and training newer and less experienced team members
- Excellent communication, influencing, and stakeholder management
- Experience working on products that impact large numbers of customers
- Experience with distributed systems
- Ability to drive technical, business and people related initiatives that improve productivity, performance and quality
- Proven ability and willingness to continue learning
- Self-starter, self-motivated, collaborative, with "can do" attitude
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
This position is open to worldwide candidates and, in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have successfully relocated 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year!
The hiring company Booking.com BV is the company behind Booking.com™, the market leading online accommodation reservation service in the world. Booking.com BV is looking for a Sr. Software Developer in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. All references to "Booking.com" refer to Booking.com BV.
Meet Some of Booking.com's Employees
Commercial Owner, New Partnerships
Morten looks at how to make the process of adding commercial partnerships more efficient and profitable. His main goal is adding accommodation partners to the platform to help Booking.com grow.
Back to top