Sr. Managing Counsel - Product
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
Booking.com - the world's #1 accommodation site and the 3rd largest global e-commerce player - is looking for a Sr. Managing Counsel - Product to act as a critical partner to our Central Product teams, helping develop, launch, and enable our mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
As Sr. Managing Counsel - Product you will have the chance to witness first hand the investment in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel - this enables a platform where every day more than 1,550,000 room nights reserved. As you do so, you will advise on a range of legal questions related to product development and user experience, demonstrating familiarity with regulatory contexts and commercial considerations that enable product management at this scale, and define the Booking experience for the future of the company.
The role is highly visible and offers the platform for the successful candidate to play a major part in building a state-of-the-art Legal function, to support the expanding needs of a growing, international business. So, t he role demands a Legal Generalist, potentially with deep experience in specific relevant areas, who is capable of drawing on technical specialist support on multiple fronts, whilst acting as principal point of contact for your clients. This opportunity represents an exceptional chance to embed yourself with one of the world's most exciting Product organisations, and help define the future for accessing travel experiences across the world.
- You will report to the Legal Director for Product, and be responsible for all legal matters related to the Central Product Organisation
- You will, as required, work directly with Senior Management and actively contribute in Leadership Teams in Product at Booking.com as well as providing practical, actionable legal advice to Product Managers and their teams and key stakeholders across Technologies, Design, Marketing, Data Analytics and other areas of the business.
- You will provide legal guidance for product launches, navigating regulatory challenges and offering pragmatic advice, co-building the Product Strategy with the Product team in a way that meets business objectives and stays on the right side of the law. You will lead negotiations on partnerships and commercial deals and draft and negotiate agreements to support revenue, partnerships and internal growth and scaling
- You collaborate with the Public Affairs team on regulatory matters that could impact new products.
- You will be comfortable advising on Travel Package Directive (and similar other travel-related consumer protection legislation), flight regulations, passenger rights, and other matters that could impact new product lines and opportunities.
- You analyse services, policies and initiatives to provide practical and actionable legal advice, including legal assessments of risk across multiple jurisdictions.
- You ensure compliance with applicable international laws and regulations addressing Product from the initial stages of product development to launch.
- You provide legal and strategic business advice to help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to our relationships with key partners and the commercial aspects of our products and programs.
- You will be a team-player, interested in building out a state-of-the-art legal function to support the expanding needs of a growing, international business.
- Bachelor's/Master's degree qualified in Law
- 8+ years' practicing law - a mix of in-house and Law firm experience preferred
- Experience with and passion for Data Privacy, Security, Intellectual Property Law, Consumer Protection issues in the Digital environment, platform liability, Marketing and Advertising law, and information policy
- Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple assignments simultaneously and effectively manage conflicting priorities
- Eager to learn new technologies and ideas
- Comfortable navigating complicated and nuanced issues
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to work well in fast paced team environment
* Relocation support will be offered with this position
Back to top