Sr. Managing Counsel - Payments
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
We are currently looking for a world-class legal professional to join the Booking.com Legal team as Sr Managing Counsel - Payments . The successful candidate will be accountable for practical, actionable legal advice to the Payments Track, including the Leadership Team on a range of business-critical programs, with deep commercial and product impact.
The successful candidate will have a chance to showcase their ability to interpret and understand the legal implications of payment solutions as a key contributor to Booking.com's mission to create a global travel experience marketplace, and enable 'The Connected Trip'.
The role will sit within the Booking.com Legal team, with the Payments Track as their main internal clients, and use their specialist Payments experience to champion Payments within the organisation, creating a critical impact in a key area for the business and the future of Booking.com.
A deep understanding of the following regulatory regimes and of how Payments firms and products are affected is required, including:-
- The key EU legal and regulatory frameworks (PSD2 / SCA/MFA, AMLD, consumer law) that cover international money transfer, e-commerce, and online platforms
- Contract relationships and risk and technology (from a regulatory perspective)
- Permanent establishment and associated structuring and/or tax risks
- Familiarity with the following financial service products and the Fin-Tech space:-
- Digital Wallets such as WeChat, ApplePay, AmazonPay etc.
- Card schemes (Amex, VISA, MC) and other virtual credit card products (VCC) such as those provided by WEX and/or eNett (Optal).
- Experience identifying and liaising with local counsel around the globe, identifying suitable partners, commissioning work, challenging deliverables etc
- Delivering all of the above directly and as part of a matrixed, cross-functional team.
- Evaluating complex flows (funds, value, data, relationships) etc. against regulatory regimes.
- Researching, reviewing, assessing and defining external (legal & regulatory) expectations for business products and operations in this area.
- Partnering with the business to shape relevant policy & procedure including highlighting risk and opportunities related to the Product roadmap.
- Defining contracts, addenda, payments related agreements etc.
- Scanning the regulatory horizon and alerting the business to relevant requirements, helping the business to map obligations and roadmap responses.
- Providing insight into the necessary licensing/authorisations, exemptions, maintenance & oversight programs required to meet longer-term Payment objectives.
The ideal profile will demonstrate the ability to translate complex legal and regulatory concepts into accessible terminology, with a clear emphasis on practical, actionable legal advice, using a combination skills and experience, including:
- Strong influencing skills, including the ability to collaborate and problem-solve in a data-driven, international business.
- Understanding e-commerce and/or the OTA industry is ideal, including understanding evolving Products and how these fit into a dynamic organisation.
- Should exercise good commercial judgment, be solutions-oriented and have a creative approach to problem-solving.
- Must be comfortable with technology and have a strong interest in financial technology and regulatory compliance issues.
- Payments regulatory experience, including engagement with applicable regulatory bodies.
- Experience learning new areas of law and regulation in a variety of jurisdictions.
- Experience developing approaches to legal challenges.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years' experience of the Payments / financial services space, and carry the following credentials:
- A Law degree with relevant post-qualification experience in general commercial legal matters in a reputable law firm and/or as in-house lawyer for a multinational company, preferably in Payments / financial services, banking, financial technology and/or e-commerce sector.
- Must be interested in significant contact with business clients on a daily basis with respect to transactional issues as well as other strategic issues;
- Must have a strategic mindset and be able to effectively discuss and advise directly and without supervision executives regarding complex legal matters and challenging situations.
- Experience of multi-jurisdictional business operations is vital, and of the challenge of aligning central and 'local' regulatory positions
Ideally you have been a contributor to the development of a Payments reliant business informing of multiple business activities, including (but not limited to) -
- Strategy - articulating barriers vs. opportunities; and
- Risk appetite - articulating the risk/reward ratio
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to "think big" and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about "the way things are done".
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes internal relationships and leverages external relationships.
- Enhances the level of cooperation, collaboration, and trust between people.
- Fosters a culture where people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates where appropriate, retaining respect for the control function the role occupies.
- Takes time to identify and engage stakeholders, seeking consensus and/or understanding
- Identifies' opportunities to build and enhance relationships that help others achieve their objectives, reaching out proactively.
Other personal characteristics:
- Functions well in an entrepreneurial environment that is growing into the Payments
- space (albeit at significant scale and global footprint)
- Confident but collaborative
- Strategic thinker who successfully communicates with those focused on execution
- Forward thinking, solutions driven
- Sensitive to Bookings existing culture and able to legitimise the cultural change that recognises the parameters of a regulatory environment
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
Back to top