Sr Managing Counsel - Employment EMEA and APAC
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
In order to be ready, Booking.com's Legal department is looking to welcome a Senior Managing Counsel to focus on Employment Law for the EMEA and APAC regions. As Senior Managing Counsel - Employment EMEA and APAC you will provide support and expert legal advice on all aspects of Employment Law and human resources practice areas, across 16 regions. The Senior Employment Counsel will be part of the Global Legal Department and report directly to the Director Employment Law. This role will be the go-to person for the HR department to offer insight into, and advice about, legal matters relating to local law across the regions.
As Senior Managing Counsel - Employment EMEA and APAC, you will combine both academic and hands-on knowledge of Law with strong interpersonal skills. You will demonstrate the ability (and desire) to work independently and flexibly in Booking.com's fast-changing environment.
In this role there will be no direct sparring-partner in the regions, so it is up to you to make decisions, independently and confidently. Additionally, you will manage and check on advice from the external employment counsel(s), as well as challenge the HR Business Partner on whether advice should be sought.
B.Responsible - as Sr Managing Counsel - Employment EMEA and APAC for Booking.com, you will;
- Provide pragmatic and effective legal support to manage Employment Law and HR risks across multiple entities within the EMEA and APAC regions
- Act as the main contact for the (external) counsels and HR Business Partners in the region
- Proactively inform the HR department with new developments on Labour law
- Provide training on legal matters to HR and managers, discuss policies to be implemented, discuss strategy on works council related topics and supervision over external legal costs
- Contribute legal expertise to a wide range of (HR) activities such as disciplinary actions, organisational changes, employment contract issues and reviews, dismissals, negotiated exits and settlement agreements
- Provide training on legal matters and discuss illness cases with HR Generalists
- Develop, implement and review of employment policies and procedures; advise on Employee Representation/ Works Council consultations
- Proactively advise on the improvement of procedures in order to prevent recurring issues arising
- Manage relationships with External counsels effectively i.e. discuss individual termination cases and Works Council matters
- Provide going-concern updates and discuss important changes within the region to the Director Employment Law
B.Skilled - the successful Sr Managing Counsel - Employment EMEA and APAC will have/be;
- 8+ years' experience and a Master's degree in Employment Law
- Experience in French or German jurisdiction (mandatory)
- French or German qualifications are preferred
- Have had a similar position in an international, fast-paced, fast-changing working environment
- Hands-on experience in advising multiple regions
- Confidence in being a sparring partner for the Board and extensive experience being the first-point of contact for multiple HR Business Partners
- In-depth knowledge of handling and advising on Employee Representative issues
- A proven track record of excellent negotiation skills and full resilience in handling pushback from the business
- A proactive self-starter and strategic thinker with a thirst for knowledge and continued growth - combined with a team-player mentality
- A quick and flexible learner; intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and motivated by dynamic change
- An ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance but also to be pragmatic, use good judgment and call out issues
- The willingness to go the extra mile and not shy away from a challenge
- Fluency in English (a must-have; additional European languages are a benefit)
Back to top