- Manchester, United Kingdom
Who are we?
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
From our HQ in Manchester, our Transportation team helps people get where they want to go, anywhere in the world. Whether customers want the freedom of a car, the ease of a taxi or the economy of public transport, we make it all possible.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities. And they're always ready for change.
Booking.com core values
- Think customer first
- Succeed together
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Do the Right Thing
- A full continuous delivery pipeline using GoCD , Git and Art i factory
- C ross functional agi le teams who own their products and operate in a DevOps environment
- Data driven decisions using Ki bana, Hadoop, monitoring , Big Data , MI and MVT testing
- Automation of tests, deployments and repeatable tasks
- Continuous improvement, keeping it simple and developing the team
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD and BDD principles and a strong focus on non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than an afterthought
- Decoupled service orientated architecture with resilience and availability built in
- World class service delivery function, outstanding support for customers and staff alike with focus on first time resolution and great customer service & satisfaction
- Robust and automated infrastructure, delivered in alignment to technical roadmap
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Solution Architect who will push the boundaries on engineering brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future.
We expect you to own and lead on the solution architecture for the software systems within your Product Groups and have a solid understanding of architecting robust solutions in highly distributed web-based environment.
- Expert knowledge and significant experience in Software and Solution architecture
- Highly proficient in modelling the software solutions
- Highly proficient in the use of software technology such as Java and NodeJS
- Highly p roficient in the use of database technologies such as A urora a nd DynamoDB
- Highly proficient with highly distributed service ( Microservices and event driven )
- Highly p roficient with design patterns and design principles
- Understanding of and experience with microservices architecture
- S trong analytical and operational d ata management skills
- Demonstrable experience o f cloud technology (AWS)
- Approachable & effective communicator, with a passion for sharing knowledge and helping others
- Flexible personal approach, between working with technical and non-technical teams
- Strong understanding of NFRs and building resilience
- Strong understanding of monitoring and analytical tools such as Kibana , C loud W atch and P rometheus
- Good understanding of e-commerce business models
- Good understanding of A/B testing
- Good experience of Continuous Delivery and Agile
- Quality first mind-set for writing code using techniques such as TDD, BDD or Agile
- Understanding of semantic data
- 25 vacation days (rising to 28) to go exploring
- Generous accommodation discount, so you can explore for less
- Bonus package
- Pension with up to 10% matched company contribution
- Huge learning and development platform tailored to you
- Shopping and leisure discounts through Perkbox
- Interest free travel loans/discounted car parking
- Competitive maternity/paternity/adoption leave
- Flexible working, including working from home
- Wellbeing focus, with weekly onsite yoga
- Mental health first-aiders and free face-to-face support
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit, cycle hub and break out spaces
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- Own the high-level architecture vision across teams and groups
- Look forward to the future and ensure the approach resilience, scalability and adaptability is designed into solutions
- Ensure that the appropriate solution governance, compliance and resilience is built into solutions
- Design and architect high quality solutions in line with guidance and best practices of the department
- Coach engineering team s on engineering best practices
- Sense of ownership and the quality of the solutions you produce
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Coll aborate with the team and other s to deliver high quality solutions
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Work with the team to size and estimate work
- Contribute to the evolution of b est practices of the department
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- Supporting live products in a DevOps environment
Back to top