Software Developer - Support Platform
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip so see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission. We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Commercial operations includes Customer Service, Partner Services (our commercial function) and our Content Agency who generate and moderate all onsite text, images and videos. With over 10,000 employees distributed across the globe, Commercial Operations is the human face to both our customers and our suppliers. We are responsible for many of the tools that customers use to manage their own reservations and partners use to grow their businesses. We are there to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
The Technology department of Commercial Operations owns the customer journey end to end, from the customer facing self service app and web platforms to the support tooling used by our employees. 'Behind the scenes' we run the critical data and ML infrastructure that helps provide the right answer to our customers and partners as if by magic.
The Support Platform teams develop, maintain and operate the communications and task distribution systems that power every customer interaction when seeking and receiving help with their Booking.com products. The trail of data produced in these interactions is used to manage our Customer Service operations and informs product direction across the company by showing how features might be causing friction for customers and agents.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Solving issues with customer and agent-facing systems, prioritizing based on customer impact.
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Testing Testing Testing. We both run unit tests on our code and run thousands of customer-facing experiments every day. We built one of the most advanced A/B testing platforms in the industry.
- Most products are developed in Perl, but not all. Perl is very effective when it comes to rapid prototyping, which our product development teams do a lot of. It's not necessary to know Perl before you start, but it helps. We are not just using the language, we influence the future of the language.
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- 3+ years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Preferably industry standard languages such as Java, Perl, Python, Scala, C++, C# etc.
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Prior experience working with customer support or digital marketing technologies is a plus.
- Preferably a university degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Nice to have, hands on experience of developing in and contributing to open source data technologies, such as Hadoop, Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes, Envoy, Jetty, Zookeeper, Protobuf
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top