It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip so see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
We are looking for a Backend Developer to join our team at our Amsterdam headquarters. As a member of the team, you will be given the opportunity to deliver the solutions for detecting and remediating supply side fraud.
Our area provides solutions for fraud prevention and reducing impact on guests due to fraud while keeping it easy for genuine properties to onboard quickly & smoothly.
As a Software Developer in our Partner Fraud & Abuse team, you are responsible for the development & maintenance of fraud solutions, Integration with third party provider solutions, and scaling of our fraud services. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance services for the Security Department
- Redesigning the architecture of legacy systems and reshaping them into SOA
- Work in close collaboration with other developers in the team through pair programming and code reviews
- Solving issues with services, systems and prioritizing based on customer impact
- Shared responsibilities of monitoring the services and alerts
- Productionize machine learning models in close collaboration with our team's data scientists
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Most products are developed in Perl and some in Java
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
We are looking for a Software Developer who enjoys solving problems, who initiates solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 4 years software development experience
- Have a strong drive to build high quality systems and improve the quality of existing systems
- Experience with languages like Perl, Java, Python etc is a plus
- Knowledge of Machine Learning is a plus
- Knowledge of kubernetes is a plus
- Previous experience with distributed systems especially Apache Kafka, Cassandra and Hadoop is a plus
- Experience of working with and knowledge of fraud domain is a pre
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is a pre
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com