Do you want to learn and influence how we protect our guests and partners at a large scale at Booking.com? Are you interested in helping build the next generation of machine learning capabilities to help detect and prevent safety incidents? Do you want to build, own and deploy scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems?
The Health and Safety Engineering team is responsible for building products which play a critical role in keeping Booking.com customers and partners safe. Scope includes Covid-19 response, Physical and Mental Wellbeing, Discrimination and Hate Speech and Animal Wellfare. Joining a new team, you will have the opportunity to help shape the future of Security and Health and Safety at Booking.com by building a series of products which will be used both internally (eg Customer Service, Partner Services, Safety Analysts) as well as externally (all users of the Booking.com Platform). These products directly improve our customers and partners safety and security. Health & Safety is a company priority and comes with broad exposure and impact.
As a Backend Developer in Health and Safety Engineering, you are responsible for developing world-class applications, on the backend, for health, safety and security related products, such as a new Security Incident Reporting Functionality and deployment of Machine Learning models. You will work side-by-side with Data Scientists, Product Owners, Copywriters, Designers and other developers to create new products, features, test your own ideas, and push changes live for billions of users.
- Deliver applications from an idea inception and validation to a scalable solution.
- Rapidly develop next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems with a focus on building, maintaining and monitoring data pipelines in the public cloud and on-premise
- Collaborate with colleagues to ideate solutions for users, prioritizing based on business impact, and A/B test them.
- Collaborate with colleagues in developing products primarily in Perl and sometimes in Java.
We need self-starters who are great at solving problems, who initiate discussions, are solutions-oriented, customer focused and believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to: Perl, Java, Python, Scala, C++
- Experience debugging cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Experience working on a command line in a Linux environment.
- Experience working on products that impact a large user base or in an entrepreneurial startup environment.
- Experience with data-driven product development: analytics, A/B testing, etc.
- Experience with design, development and testing of data-intensive systems
- Self-starters with a collaborative, "can-do" attitude.
- Quick delivery of end-to-end solutions to validate ideas and produce quality products
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 26 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- Generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam