Software Developer - Core Infrastructure
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip so see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Do you want to build software that impacts millions of customers around the world, tackling some of the world's most complex ecommerce challenges? We are looking for talented infrastructure backend developers to join our Core Infrastructure department in our Amsterdam HQ.
In Core Infrastructure we design, build and operate all the technology that our Booking.com product development teams need in order to deliver great travel products to our customers.
This includes, for instance, our on premise data centers, our cloud hosted Kubernetes clusters, MySQL/Cassandra/Elasticsearch database environment, HAProxy load balancers, Envoy service mesh, APigee gateway, Kafka streaming service, Hadoop big data storage, Graphite timeseries, Grafana dashboard platform, monitoring & alerting tools, CI/CD tooling, Perl/Java/Node.js language frameworks and more...
As a Backend Developer, you are responsible for the design, development, operations, performance, and scaling of our infrastructure that we develop and run our Booking.com travel products on.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing and operating scalable, flexible, and high-performance infrastructure systems on premise and in the cloud;
- Overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance;
- Operational support, triage and solve issues with internal systems, prioritizing based on customer impact;
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Participating in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards;
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- Apply good engineering and security practices for the systems you build.
- Knowledge of automated software testing, continuous integration, release management.
- A data-driven approach to problem solving and optimization. Service-minded, team player. Good problem solving and communication skills.
We are looking for driven infrastructure backend developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 4 years software development experience for distributed infrastructure systems; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Preferably Java, Go, Python, Perl;
- Experience with developing and operating technologies comparable to the ones we use (see list above);
- Experienced debugging, diagnosing, and trouble-shooting complex production software;
- Demonstrate best practices when developing and maintaining services built on microservice architecture.
- Strong understanding of system performance and scaling;
- Write very high quality code that is robust and easy to maintain;
- Preferably a university/master degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering;
- Excellent communication; written and spoken;
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Back to top