It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip so see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world may feel distant right now, we are seeing a growth in domestic travel, as well as preparing for the anticipated traveling boom that is soon to return.. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission. We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, Accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. We are responsible for accommodation growth, with clear ownership of all marketing, product and supply related to accommodations. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most varied selection of properties.
As a Software Developer at Booking, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
As a Backend developer in Booking.com you will:
- Be part of a squad-like, multi-disciplinary team.
- Own and lead technical aspects of every project you are a part of.
- Design, build, and monitor scalable and high-performance services to solve business needs.
- Use our A/B testing platforms to run experiments in our main website.
- Work mainly with Java & Perl. Knowing Perl in advance is not a requirement, but it is a plus.
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do.
- Advocate for best engineering practices within the team.
- Act as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community.
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 3 years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Preferably Java, Python, Perl, Ruby on Rails, Scala, C#, C++ etc.
- Previous experience with distributed systems.
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases.
- Proven experience in owing and leading technical projects
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage.
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering.
- Excellent communication; written and spoken (with English as the main language across the organization)
- Experience managing teams is a plus
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package