At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
With this in mind, we are looking for the world's finest Site Reliability Engineers to join us on this adventure and to help shape the future of travel with Booking.com!
Flights Mission and Purpose
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer, to join our Flights Infra team within our Trips Business Unit.
Our flight business is one of the cornerstones of the connected trip. We ought to offer the best and most convenient flights to every customer, those that start their trip by buying a flight or those that are complementing their existing journey with a flight. We will do this by having the best inventory available at the most competitive prices powering a site that solves all the pain points of booking a flight today.
Our ideal candidate has an excellent eye for detail, pragmatic approach and an absolute commitment to making sure features are well implemented and bug free. We make all of our decisions based on experiments and testing, so you should be excited by taking a data-led approach to development. If you believe you're also a passionate advocate for the user, and are looking to work in an agile, collaborative environment then we would like to hear from you!
So is an SRE opportunity with Booking right for you?
The core premise for the Booking SRE lies in treating operational issues as a software problem. We code our way out of problems where operations are concerned addressing availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency challenges within the vast infrastructure here at Booking.
- You will impact millions of people all over the globe with your creative solutions
- You will be working in one of the biggest e-commerce companies in the world
- You will solve interesting problems at scale by writing and deploying code across tens of thousands of servers
- You will have the opportunity to collaborate with many of the world's leading SREs
- You will be free to launch your own ideas and solutions within our complex production environment
- Here are some of the tools and technologies we use to achieve this: Java, Go, Puppet, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, MySQL, Cassandra, Kafka etc
- Architect, write and implement software that improves the stability, scalability, availability and latency of the Booking.com products
- Own multiple services and have the autonomy to do what suits the business and our customers
- Solve problems occurring with our highly available production systems and create solutions and automation tools to prevent them from happening again
- Construct effective systems to monitor the health of your system, and to handle outages
- Build and run capacity tests to manage the growth of your systems
- Plan for reliability by designing systems to work across our multinational data-centres
- Produce tools to assist the product development teams with successfully deploying 1000s of change sets every day
- Share the on-call rotation and be an escalation contact for incidents
- Contribute to Booking.com's growth through interviewing and recruitment efforts
- Working in close collaboration with multi-functional teams
- Minimum 4 years of experience with building & maintaining complex, scalable, and distributed systems
- Good understanding of Software Reliability Engineering and Computer Science principles
- Ability to formulate software solutions from scratch is essential
- Solid understanding of Service Oriented Architecture, Microservices & OOP patterns
- Hands-on experience in Linux administration and troubleshooting
- Creative approach to problem-solving
- Ability to define SLIs and SLOs
- Fluency in the English language both spoken and written
- Additional experience in networking, security or storage is an advantage
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions.
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- With over 70 different nationalities within the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and grow your career in a multicultural environment.
- We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.