Booking's Platform Engineering organization plays a pivotal role in providing modern, reliable, performant, easy to use and cost effective infrastructure so that our builders can create products and experience with less friction.
"Let builders build" is our North Star. As we prioritise our customers and carve our global technical strategy, we need solid technical expertise to connect the dots, bring order and clarity, and ensure that we operate as efficiently and effectively as possible.
As a Senior Technical Program Manager (STPM) at Booking.com, you will have the opportunity to play a key role in shaping the future of our production infrastructure and in taking our digital foundation to its next level of maturity. This is very much a digital transformation program: You will be responsible for driving the migration of core infrastructure services onto the private cloud to help us achieve our platform optimization and modernization goals. You will interface with a diverse set of internal customers, gather and refine their platform requirements, work closely with our engineering team to translate requirements into plan, and drive execution, while continuously aligning with senior management on strategy and progress.
You'll be working closely with the tech teams; our core infra team operates as a unit at our Global HQ in the Netherlands. This role is based right here in our Amsterdam HQ in the Netherlands.
As a global travel tech and ecommerce company this represents a unique opportunity to drive a huge business forward, at scale, having ownership and input on one of the most important programs being implemented. You will lead through influence, keeping your technical expertise fresh, using these skills on a daily basis. This is about taking on a challenge, building solid relationships across our organisation and making things happen.
We are looking for someone with a proven track record of having run programs of a similar nature, magnitude and impact end-to-end. Whilst you won't be expected to code yourself, you will need to communicate in-depth with people from various roles and backgrounds, including engineers, so a thorough understanding of technology is required. To bring the most value, we'll need your expertise with Agile methodologies and techniques so you can hit the ground running and apply Agile to all phases of the program lifecycle.
- Define the product and technology/architectural vision for critical aspects of the program
- Lead teams through transition from ideation to execution
- Define projects; requirements gathering, write detailed functional and test specifications, coordinate efforts to scope, schedule and deploy new feature sets
- Research to better define the opportunity and understand customer requirements
- Develop your stakeholder communication as you collaborate with senior stakeholders and leaders across the company, both locally and internationally
- Collaborate with development teams to build and launch new products, features and programs
- Work on systems that are mission critical to the company and are used every day by thousands of developers and operators.
- 7+ years relevant work experience, including technical program management experience
- Experience with supporting technical decisions within a core infrastructure or centralised service team, including collaborating closely with developers/engineering teams
- A demonstrated ability to think broadly and strategically on the direction of cloud-based solutions and make recommendations with fact-based discussions and presentations
- Experience and ability to understand multiple technologies and how they interact for the benefit of customers, delivered in a Cloud environment
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; Data driven and results-oriented
- A proven track record of leading a visionary strategy to deliver global, company-wide platform services at enterprise large scales.
- Computer Science / Engineering Bachelor's degree or related technical field
- The chance to own a complex program at scale
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Being at the forefront of a massive digital transformation journey
- Opportunity to use technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.