Senior Technical Program Manager
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
From our HQ in Manchester, our Transportation team helps people get where they want to go, anywhere in the world. Whether customers want the freedom of a car, the ease of a taxi or the economy of public transport, we make it all possible.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities. And they're always ready for change.
Booking.com core values
- Think customer first
- Succeed together
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Do the Right Thing
As a STPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance business needs versus technical constraints. Ensuring decisions are engineered for security, reliability and scalability, running the full stack from infrastructure to applications to devices and hardware. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, help engineering leaders develop functional specifications, provide program governance and reporting, then deliver programs in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are key factors to success in this role.
- Align product vision with technology/architectural design for critical aspects of the program
- Lead teams through the transition from ideation to execution.
- Defining projects, collect requirements, write detailed functional and test specifications, coordinating efforts to scope, schedule and deploy new features sets
- Undertake research to better define the opportunity and understand customer requirements.
- Partner with leaders across the company, both locally and internationally.
- Working closely with development teams to build and launch new products, features and programs.
- Use communication and interpersonal skills effectively to enhance program delivery and deliver outstanding program visibility.
- Use influencing skills across multiple teams as required to maintain delivery velocity.
- Operate successfully in ambiguous environments.
- Ability to handle multiple contending priorities simultaneously in an exciting environment.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, at least 3 years in Engineering or development capacity
- 7+ years in product/program management/technical PM working directly with software development teams
- Strong experience and in depth knowledge of software development practices, including code repository tooling, deployment tooling, asset management frameworks and tooling, workflow management tools such as Jira and a very strong understanding of the entire software development lifecycle
- Strong understanding of agile working methodologies, and experience of implementing agile working process/practices in a global organization impacting 1000s of employees.
- Strong understanding of cloud infrastructure technologies and platforms, particularly AWS
- Strong analytical skills with ability to collect organize; analyze significant amounts of information and massive datasets (expertise in SQL, Hive)
- Experience delivering with an agile methodology (SCRUM, RUP, XP)
- A track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects
- Experience of building and launching a new product or service from the ground up
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and recommendations
- Solid business judgment
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss complex technical concepts.
- Knowledge of online and offline financial businesses
- Experience defining complex software architecture
- A first-hand working knowledge of current web technologies