Senior Software Developer - Core Infrastructure
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
At Booking.com, our mission is to make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
Do you want to build software that impacts millions of customers around the world, tackling some of the world's most complex ecommerce challenges? We are looking for talented infrastructure backend developers to join our Core Infrastructure department in our Amsterdam HQ.
In Core Infrastructure we design, build and operate all the technology that our Booking.com product development teams need in order to deliver great travel products to our customers.
This includes, for instance, our on premise data centers, our cloud hosted Kubernetes clusters, MySQL/Cassandra/Elasticsearch database environment, HAProxy load balancers, Envoy service mesh, APigee gateway, Kafka streaming service, Hadoop big data storage, Graphite time series, Grafana dashboard platform, monitoring & alerting tools, CI/CD tooling, Perl/Java/Node.js language frameworks and more...
- Combine hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members,
- Solve business problems, work cross-functionally and lead initiatives to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com,
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do,
Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts and proactively share your knowledge to help your colleagues grow,
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community,
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment - turn "my ideas" into "our ideas"
- Rapidly developing and operating scalable, flexible, and high-performance infrastructure systems on premise and in the cloud;
- Overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance;
- ational support, triage and solve issues with internal systems, prioritizing based on customer impact;
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Participating in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards;
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- Apply good engineering and security practices for the systems you build.
- Knowledge of automated software testing, continuous integration, release management.
- A data-driven approach to problem solving and optimization. Service-minded, team player. Good problem solving and communication skills.
- You are a humble and thought leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates respect through your actions and not your title,
- You have strong programming skills and experience with 2+ server-side programming languages, including Java
- You have 10+ years of experience as a Software Developer, you've worked with web applications, distributed systems and product(s) that impact millions of customers,
- Experience withdesign, development, testing, and monitoring of large-scale and data-intensive systems
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels,
- You have driven successful technical, business and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality,
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively and not reactively,
- It would be great if you have prior experience with mentoring, coaching and training team members
- Experience with developing and operating technologies comparable to the ones we use (see list above);
- Experienced debugging, diagnosing, and trouble-shooting complex production software;
- Demonstrate best practices when developing and maintaining services built on microservice architecture.
- Strong understanding of system performance and scaling;
- Write high quality code that is robust and easy to maintain;
- Preferably a university/master degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering;
- Excellent communication; written and spoken;
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Back to top