It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission. We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. We are responsible for accommodation growth, with clear ownership of all marketing, product and supply related to accommodations. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most varied selection of properties.
About the Accommodation Data Services Team
You'll be part of our foundations team responsible for product data pipelines powering our website and mobile apps. We maintain the entire ETL lifecycle and support product teams across the company as they integrate. You will get experience solving fundamental problems to accelerate our website and app replatforming initiatives: data modeling, storage, indexing, search access control, and much more.
- Combine hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members,
- Solve business problems, work cross-functionally and lead initiatives to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com,
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do,
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts and proactively share your knowledge to help your colleagues grow,
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community,
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment - turn "my ideas" into "our ideas"
- You have 8+ years of experience, you have worked with large scale distributed systems, highly available APIs, and products that impact millions of customers.
- You have several years of experience with Java and you possess deep knowledge of Java ecosystems (ex: JEE, JVM internals).
- You have a solid understanding of Service Oriented Architecture, Microservices & OOP patterns - and you mastered explaining these concepts to others.
- You have driven successful technical, business and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality.
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels.
- You are a humble and thought leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates respect through your actions and not your title.
- You own your systems end-to-end and are comfortable performing incident management.
- Having additional experience with Kubernetes, Protobuf, Kafka, GraphQL, and Node.js is strongly preferred.
- Having experience mentoring, coaching and training newer and less experienced team members is an advantage.
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe.
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide.
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture.
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions.
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation.
- Competitive compensation, benefits package, and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com.