At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
With this in mind, we are looking for the world's finest Site Reliability Engineers to join us on this adventure and to help shape the future of travel with Booking.com!
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer, to join our Payment Reliability team within our Payments Business Unit.
Payments are an ever-changing, complex, competitive and extremely exciting industry. More than ever before, in order to accomplish Booking.com's mission ("making it easier for everyone to experience the world"), we need to offer a frictionless payment experience. In that context, the Payments department is in charge of creating delightful payment experiences for bookers and merchants alike, and help internal clients (Accommodations, Transportation, Attractions) grow their businesses.
So is an SRE opportunity with Booking right for you?
The core premise for the Booking SRE lies in treating operational issues as a software problem. We code our way out of problems where operations are concerned addressing availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency challenges within the vast infrastructure here at Booking.
- You will impact millions of people all over the globe with your creative solutions
- You will be working in one of the biggest e-commerce companies in the world
- You will solve interesting problems at scale by writing and deploying code across tens of thousands of servers
- You will have the opportunity to collaborate with many of the world's leading SREs
- You will be free to launch your own ideas and solutions within our complex production environment
- Here are some of the tools and technologies we use to achieve this: Python, Go, Puppet, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, HAProxy, Cassandra, Kafka etc
- Architect, write and implement software that improves the stability, scalability, availability and latency of the Booking.com products
- Own multiple services and have the autonomy to do what suits the business and our customers
- Solve problems occurring with our highly available production systems and create solutions and automation tools to prevent them from happening again
- Construct effective systems to monitor the health of your system, and to handle outages
- Build and run capacity tests to manage the growth of your systems
- Plan for reliability by designing systems to work across our multinational data-centres
- Produce tools to assist the product development teams with successfully deploying 1000s of change sets every day
- Share the on-call rotation and be an escalation contact for incidents
- Contribute to Booking.com's growth through interviewing and recruitment efforts
- Working in close collaboration with multi-functional teams
- Minimum 4 years of experience with building & maintaining complex, scalable, and distributed systems
- Good understanding of Software Reliability Engineering and Computer Science principles
- Ability to formulate software solutions from scratch is essential
- Solid understanding of Service Oriented Architecture, Microservices & OOP patterns
- Hands-on experience in Linux administration and troubleshooting
- Creative approach to problem-solving
- Ability to define SLIs and SLOs
- Fluency in the English language both spoken and written
- Additional experience in networking, security or storage is an advantage
- Lucrative compensation including bonuses and the potential to own Booking stock
- An excellent work/life balance
- Collaboration with some of the brightest minds in their field
- A generous relocation package (if based outside of the Netherlands)
- Company sponsored family/social activities to help with family integration
- Delicious catered lunches every day
- The Booking benefit (a suite of other perks and benefits for Booking employees)
- An international, diverse, fun and dynamic environment to work from