Senior MySQL DBA
Who are we?
We're the transport division of Booking.com and we're looking for a talented Senior MySQL DBA to join us at the moment. We're the ones who empower people to get where they're going. Whether they're taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether they're heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.
To do that, we offer car hire to our customers through booking.com and rentalcars.com, taxis, on-demand ride hail and ticketed transfer services through Booking.com. We also have a B2B solution, Rentalcars Connect, providing great ground transportation options to the customers of our partners.
With our HQ in Manchester, we're part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, we're proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 2,000+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other people's. It's easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on a daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search "Manchester's coolest office" and see for yourself.
And we're in good company. Together with priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable, we're part of Booking Holdings, the world leader in online travel and related services.
We have a great journey ahead and our vision is to radically change the working practices to realise our ambition of being a "World Class" engineering function and the "Technology Employer of Choice" in the Northwest and beyond. Make no mistake we have a challenging journey ahead but we are committed to delivering a great customer experience across web, mobile, call centre and partner channels and this is where you could fit in.
Where we are going
- Cross functional agile teams who own their products in a Continuous Delivery DevOps environment
- Revolutionise our online customer experience through a great web site and mobile app
- Data driven decisions using Kibana, Hadoop, monitoring, Big Data, MI and MVT testing
- Continuous improvement, keeping it simple and developing the team
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD and BDD principles and a strong focus on non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than an afterthought
- Decoupled service orientated architecture with resilience and adaptability built in
What we offer in return
- The opportunity to upskill/expand your DBA skills into MySQL and AWS Aurora
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen & Starbucks, free breakfast, fruit & cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on holidays, car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Technology and software kit that works
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Database Administrator who will push the boundaries on engineering brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future. We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of database engineering and security principles. We also expect you to take the lead where required. Most of the below points will match up to your skills and experience
- Experience of managing infrastructure on high volume transactional websites
- Experience developing and configuring orchestration for database environments
- Information Security awareness demonstrable by practical experience and technical knowledge
- Experience with developing or configuring infrastructure automation
- Interested in contributing towards long term technical roadmap, ability to assess, design and improve system architecture to promote performance and scalability
- Desire to have a significant impact in our technical roadmap and thrive off the responsibility to do the right thing
- As many of the following as possible - full training and mentoring provided to fill the gaps:
- MySQL, Couchbase experience or similar - (SQL Server, Oracle, Postgres, CouchDB)
- Linux experience
- Configuration management with Puppet or experience with Infrastructure as Code
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking
- Understanding and application of networking and security principles
- Continuous Integration/Delivery
- Scripting skills (Python or Bash preferred, not essential)
- Working within the team (locally & remote) defining working standards and practices and providing feedback to teams
- Working with in house security team to ensure information security standards are in place and up to date
- Proactively monitoring database systems in Booking.com Transport to improve system performance
- Task automation and continuous improvement of our orchestration tools.
- Troubleshooting and resolving issues with systems administrators, database administrators, software developers, and commercial business colleagues.
- Supporting the rapid development and deployment of internal software and systems.
- Provide excellent service in response to commercial business requirements
- Documenting systems and communicating technical knowledge to colleagues
- Participate in an on-call rotation for out of hours' support
Back to top