Senior Java Developer - Trip Foundations
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
Team Mission and Purpose
Trip Foundations is focused in bridging the Booking of today into the Booking of tomorrow, and lead the evolution of Booking from a single product company to a multi-product offering company with an unprecedented, personalised travel experience at the heart of its success.
Senior Software Developer in Trip Foundations
As a Senior Software Developer, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Our ideal candidate has an excellent eye for detail, pragmatic approach and has absolute commitment in making sure features are well implemented and bug free. We make all of our decisions based on experiments and testing, so you should be excited by taking a data-driven approach toward development. If you believe you're also a passionate advocate for the user, and are looking to work in an agile, collaborative environment then we would like to hear from you!
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Self-starters with a collaborative, "can-do" attitude.
- Solving issues with the site and internal systems, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Advocating development best practices within the team.
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 7+ years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Experience with Java is needed.
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Experience with Microservices, Kubernetes and Kafka is needed.
- Experience with event driven asynchronous service design and domain driven design is a big plus.
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience with NoSQL databases like Cassandra is a plus.
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Experience with unit, integration and end-to-end testing paradigms
- Experience with debugging and troubleshooting Java services is a nice to have
- Experience with defining and upholding SLOs/KPIs and participating in architecture reviews for systems.
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Various opportunities to grow technically and personally via side projects, hackathons, conferences and your involvement in the community.
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam.
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits.
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture.
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world.
- With over 70 different nationalities within the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and grow your career in a multicultural environment.
- We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Back to top