At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
Flights Mission and Purpose
Our flight business is one of the cornerstones of the connected trip. We ought to offer the best and most convenient flights to every customer, those that start their trip by buying a flight or those that are complementing their existing journey with a flight. We will do this by having the best inventory available at the most competitive prices powering a site that solves all the pain points of booking a flight today.
Our ideal candidate has an excellent eye for detail, pragmatic approach and an absolute commitment to making sure features are well implemented and bug free. We make all of our decisions based on experiments and testing, so you should be excited by taking a data-led approach to development. If you believe you're also a passionate advocate for the user, and are looking to work in an agile, collaborative environment then we would like to hear from you!
Software Developer in Flights
The Software Developer within the Flights business solves customer and partner pain points providing the best and most efficient technical solutions. We have a complex and distributed set of systems that provide end-to-end flights experience from our provider sources' availability towards the end Booking.com customer and its partners. This enables flight travelers to extend their experience as a Booking.com customer adding value through other critical offers such as accommodation or ground transportation. The Flights stack follows a modern architecture of services in a highly distributed environment of supply towards demand clients.
As a Senior Software Developer, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Combine hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members.
- Solve business problems, work cross-functionally and lead initiatives to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com.
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do.
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts and proactively share your knowledge to help your colleagues grow.
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community.
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment - turn "my ideas" into "our ideas".
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 7 years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages.
- Strong knowledge of Java. Strong system design skills and programming skills.
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases.
- Worked on with web applications, distributed systems and product(s) that impact millions of customers.
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture and managing cloud deployments. Kubernetes experience preferred.
- Experience with streaming applications, working with kafka preferred.
- Experience with unit, integration and end-to-end testing paradigms.
- Experience with debugging and troubleshooting Java services is a nice to have.
- Good grip on the JVM internals is a nice to have.
- Experience with defining and upholding SLOs/KPIs and participating in architecture reviews for systems.
- Experience in driving successful technical initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality.
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively and not reactively.
- Experience with mentoring and coaching.
- Excellent communication; written and spoken. Ability to influence and cooperate with people at all levels.
- Experience in flights industry is a plus.
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions.
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- With over 70 different nationalities within the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and grow your career in a multicultural environment.
- We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.