Senior Java Developer - Availability Search Service
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth's #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travellers and the accommodation partners.
About the area - Selection & Supply Tech Platform and Services
Our products & services are available on Web, Mobile and API platforms, and span across various supply aspects of Booking.com accommodation business - from inventory acquisition to displaying rooms to our customers. Our Availability Service can search through 1.3 TB of data (more than 100 Billion price points!) in less than 50 milliseconds. You'll work with Senior and Principal engineers from the team on bringing it to the next level and enabling other teams to create products for customers and accommodation partners.
- Combine hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members,
- Solve business problems, work cross-functionally and lead initiatives to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com,
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do,
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts and proactively share your knowledge to help your colleagues grow,
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community,
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment - turn "my ideas" into "our ideas"
- You have strong programming skills and experience with Java and one additional server-side programming language,
- You have 10+ years of experience as a Software Developer, you've worked with distributed systems and product(s) that impact millions of customers,
- You understand business well, can grasp and explain complex concepts and make pragmatic decisions,
- You know how to keep a critical system up and running, understand reliability, can troubleshoot effectively, and are comfortable performing incident management,
- You have several years of experience with Java and you possess deep knowledge of Java ecosystems (ex: JEE, JVM internals),
- Having experience with Protobuf, Kafka, Maven, Docker, and Kubernetes is a plus,
- You are passionate about engineering excellence and bring experience with Test-Driven Development, Continuous Integration, cloud-first mindset,
- You are a humble and thought leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates respect through your actions and not your title,
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels,
- You have driven successful technical and business related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality,
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively and not reactively,
- It would be great if you have prior experience with mentoring, coaching and training team members
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Back to top