Senior International Payroll Specialist - APAC
- Tokyo, Japan
As a Senior Payroll Specialist you will be responsible for managing the payroll for multiple entities including Japan. This includes running the payroll reports, coordinating & checking the payroll with external vendors, preparing the journal and making sure payments are made timely & accurately. It is expected to act as a functional lead for the payroll specialists, able to make key operational decisions, handle escalations and give recommendations to the senior management. You will need to maintain relationships with external payroll vendors as well as internal stakeholders. In this position you will be part of a dynamic, humble and open minded international team, consisting of 30+ colleagues who manage payroll for our offices in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America, Asia and Oceania. You will be reporting to the Payroll Team Lead.
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate the ability to work independently as well as be a strong contributor within our internal account teams. Interpersonal skills, good communication and the proven ability to work accurately with tight deadlines and a strong focus on results are a must. Our employees are some of the best and brightest, working with them will be both challenging and rewarding. So, if you can do it all with a smile and a great attitude that is a huge plus.
You will be responsible for managing payroll for Japan & a portfolio of other countries in APAC.
This full time position will be based in ourJapan office.
Main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Be responsible for the maintenance and preparation of multiple payrolls and at least one Customer Service (CS) site of the region.
- Act as a functional expert and main point of contact regarding any payroll related matters for all of the countries you are responsible for;
- Represent the payroll function and give proactive recommendations to all stakeholders, support ongoing HR projects, audits;
- Oversee relationship with external payroll providers by tracking budget, performance and establishing KPIs for improvement;
- Be the main point of contact on a country level for internal and external audits by coordinating payroll feedback and escalating to regional lead when necessary;
- Review and suggest process optimizations on country level to ensure alignment with local rules and global processes, and compliance;
- Act as a 2nd level reviewer of payrolls and other statutory/adhoc payments in detail;
- Provide support to other regional payroll team leads as a backup;
- Be responsible for data validation and resolving discrepancies within tight deadlines;
- Manage relationships with various stakeholders and global payroll providers with focus on compliance and payroll accuracy;
- Coordinate payroll approvals & funding instructions with the Finance team using various systems (Blackline, banking platforms);
- Prepare monthly payroll reconciliations, journal and accrual reports;
- Ensure compliance with statutory regulations, company policies, and Sox requirements;
- Attend to payroll specific queries from employees;
- Reply to tax notices, wage orders, unemployment claims, government correspondences, and verification of employments for international entities;
- Stay up to date with local payroll regulations;
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working in an payroll/accounting environment;
- Strong experience and in depth knowledge of at least one of the payrolls of our CS sites (China, Japan, Thailand, Korea, Singapore)
- Experience managing internal and external stakeholders such as other HR functions, employees, and local payroll providers;
- Experience with HR technologies (Workday, SAP, Peoplesoft);
- Excellent communications skills in English and Japanese to best serve our CS customers;
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as a team member;
- Ability to manage fast pace environment;
- Ability to take ownership of payroll processes;
- Problem solving mindset & positive attitude;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask;
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Available to travel;
- You will also need to be versatile, flexible and adapt quickly to the latest guidelines/changes from Booking.com BV.
Back to top