Senior Front End Software Engineer
Who are we?
We're BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com. We're the ones who empower people to get where they're going. Whether they're taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether they're heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.
To do that, we offer car hire to our customers through our Rentalcars.com brand and car hire, taxis and ticketed transfer services through Booking.com. We also have a B2B solution, Rentalcars Connect, providing great ground transportation options to the customers of our partners
With our HQ in Manchester, we're part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, we're proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 2,000+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other people's. It's easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on a daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search "Manchester's coolest office" and see for yourself, we are also investing in our future with a new office being custom built in the Manchester Goods Yard for 2020.
And we're in good company. Together with priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable, we're part of Booking Holdings, the world leader in online travel and related services.
- Work within a cross functional team
- Be proactive in driving improvements in engineering practices across the Engineering discipline
- size and estimate work
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices of the department
- Mentor Engineers
- Help engineers write high quality robust code
- Guide teams in helping meet our defaults principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Interest or Experience in Ecommerce
- Guide the team to build, design and deliver high quality solutions in line with guidance and best practices of the department
- Collaborate with the team and others to deliver high quality solutions
- Keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise technical documentation
- Supporting live products in a DevOps environment
- Have fun
Skills we are looking for
We are looking for a superb senior developer who can solve complex problems and help drive forward the BookingGo's technical strategy. The right candidate will enjoy working closely with more junior developers and enjoy mentoring and helping the team with best practice.
We are looking to free up our developers to work on interesting problems, not waste their time doing repetitive work, so if you have experience in Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery that would be a bonus.
We have a quality first mind-set, we have found that we get better quality code if its developed using TDD or BDD. We would like to champion these kind of development methodologies in your team.
We have a diverse technology estate which lets our employees work develop their skills in all tiers of the E-Commerce stack, we encourage you to move between areas as a part of your career development and aspirations.
Developing features for our web site across mobile, tablet and desktop. Our web site is the high-volume site handling millions of searches and bookings a year with a strong focus on A/B testing.
- Highly Proficient with HTML 5, AJAX, Bootstrapping, HTML, HTTP and JSON
- Solid understanding of styling and applying design to web pages using CSS
Other beneficial skills
- Good understanding of asynchronous systems and messaging for example Kafka
- Quality first mind-set for writing code using techniques such as TDD or BDD
- Solid understanding of Agile practices
- Commercial experience in an e-commerce background and A/B testing
- Cloud technologies such as AWS and container technologies such as Docker
- Good understanding or knowledge of web server technology such as Apache or Tomcat
- Proficient with the use of Spring
Back to top