Senior Database Engineer
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
From our HQ in Manchester, our Transportation team helps people get where they want to go, anywhere in the world. Whether customers want the freedom of a car, the ease of a taxi or the economy of public transport, we make it all possible.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities. And they're always ready for change.
Booking.com core values
- Think customer first
- Succeed together
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Do the Right Thing
As a Senior DBA, you will be pushing the boundaries by helping provide the vision for our future Database Infrastructure, you will also be subject matter expert in your field, be an escalation point for ongoing live issues and provide mentoring and coaching for more junior members of the business.
- Continuously improve the automation on new and existing infrastructure
- Actively monitoring the performance and stability of all the production and internal database infrastructure at rentalcars.com, using your analytical skills to anticipate future problems and resolve them effectively
- Ensure all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business's Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems as a team, often involving members of other teams
- Supporting the rapid development and deployment of internal software and systems.
- Provide excellent service in response to commercial business requirements. You will have to provide knowledge and support to technical software developers
- Documenting systems and communicate technical knowledge to colleagues
- Mentor and coach both inside and outside your team
- Take an active part in our journey to the cloud
- You will have the ability to make a big impact and the responsibility to do the right thing
- 5+ years' experience of administering large-scale MySQL (Oracle or Percona)/MSSQL estates with focus on one of the two technologies and reasonable exposure to the other.
- A mind-set oriented to automation and DevOps
- Strong interest and ability to engineer systems for scalability and reliability
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills under pressure
- Good communication skills also outside of the team
- Experience in Planning & Executing disaster recovery solutions
- Experience ensuring high availability and replication of database systems & services
- Seasoned at optimizing queries, experience at liaising with development teams for schema design.
- Experience with monitoring solutions like Grafana, SQL Monitor, Solarwind
- Excellent proficiency in Linux systems administration with focus on CentOS/RedHat and/or Windows
- Capability to own complex projects involving stakeholders spanning across multiple teams and with challenging deadlines
- Capability to quickly adapt to changes in priority and of deadlines
- Capability to take educated decisions under pressure and in full autonomy
- Familiarity with NoSQL In-Memory DBMS (Couchbase/Memcache)
- Familiarity with Linux and/or Windows system administration
- Exposure to the AWS ecosystem
- Exposure to Hadoop
- Experience with 24/7 support