Senior Data Scientist
- Manchester, United Kingdom
Job title: Senior Data Scientist
About the company
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Booking.com core values
- Think customer first
- Succeed together
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Do the Right Thing
As Booking.com Transport (the Manchester unit) continues its journey to be a fully data driven organisation, we are looking for an exceptional self-led, hands on Senior Data Scientist who can help steer this process. Designing a strategy to best use all forms of data science, shaping a strategy that can continue the segmentation and personalisation journey we are one. You must have the technical ability to Inform how we analyse, validate and shape data held in Hadoop and SQL data stores; to ensure the quality of the model outputs and own machine-learning tools that form a crucial part of the business. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with big data, new technologies and supporting and kick-starting innovative ML projects.
As part of the Booking data team, you'll be working to shape all applications of data science in the business, from working with excellent, motivated product and commercial teams to deliver the greatest impact in the most efficient way. Shaping the future for one of the biggest travel tech companies in the UK. You'll be using your expertise to leverage large datasets to build and improve a variety of machine learning models, covering all aspects of segmentation, pricing, promotions, marketing and in other spaces to drive business growth.
The focus will be on assessing the quality and suitability of data, taking a systematic approach to creating and exploring useful data sets, delivering insight and enabling and supporting advanced analysis and data insights for the business. This pivotal role will involve assessing the impact of machine learning on the fundamental aspects of our business with the power to influence wide-ranging aspects of how we operate globally.
Where we are going
- Enacting a data-driven approach by bringing advanced analytics and ML to the business
- Transforming the influence of machine-learning in a business-critical field
- Revolutionising our online customer experience by changing how we attract and provide hire for millions
- Supporting this impact using the state of the art infrastructure, and big data technologies
- Academic background in a field related to data science, computer science, machine learning, applied mathematics, statistics or similar
- Proven experience in shaping a strategy that delivers business value
- Professional experience in using data science and statistics based solutions to solve business problems
- Proven ability to work with high-level stakeholders to achieve varied business aims
- Experience in building, leading and upskilling teams of mixed ability to form high-performing functions
- Excellent communication skills; the ability to clearly communicate complicated ideas to varied and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong technical skills regarding data analysis, statistics and programming. Strong working knowledge of, Python, Hadoop, SQL, and/or R.
- Experience managing the process of building a machine learning model
- Suggesting, negotiating and defining requirements
- Understanding how to gain insights from complicated datasets
- Building features that support complex models
- Understanding how to tune performance for production
- Being aware of the limitations of these methods, and how to address them
- Understanding the engineering process for hosting and monitoring models in production
- Ability to develop analytic methods, and coach those that need to do the same
- Working knowledge of Python data tools (e.g. Jupyter, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, Matplotlib)
- Ability to talk the language of statistics, finance and economics
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new analytic skills
- Working with high-level stakeholders to deliver working practical solutions
- Provide guidance on insight and understanding that can transform a business
- Encode this understanding within machine-learning models that are both reliable and robust
- Work with a team of mixed expertise to deliver models and analytics that can change the direction of the company
- A real team player
- Analytical and structured in approach, determined and passionate about delivering an impact
- Passionate enough to create and engage a team
- Commitment to personal and professional development of yourself and others, seeks and acts on feedback
- Excel in communication effectively to all levels within the business - verbally and written, formally and informally
- Robust & resilient, a completer/finisher with an attention to detail
- Sense of ownership of the understanding & quality of the results that the team rely upon
- 25 vacation days (rising to 28) to go exploring
- Generous accommodation discount, so you can explore for less
- Bonus package
- Pension with up to 10% matched company contribution
- Free breakfast and subsidised staff restaurant with Starbucks coffee
- Huge learning and development platform tailored to you
- Shopping and leisure discounts through Perkbox
- Interest free travel loans/discounted car parking
- Competitive maternity/paternity/adoption leave
- Flexible working, including working from home
- Wellbeing focus
- Mental health first-aiders and free face-to-face support
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top