As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be working with stakeholders throughout the company to ensure we have high quality data to power our business in all departments. Decisions for every part of our business - from the frontend experience, performance marketing to partner products - are driven by petabytes of data via MySQL, Hadoop, Cassandra, etc. Your challenge will be to make sure we can utilize our data even more effectively to support business decisions and improve our products. Joining a multi-functional team of developers, designers, data scientists, and product owners, we invite you to help us crunch the data to ensure our place as the planet's #1 accommodation site.
Payments are an ever-changing, complex, competitive and extremely exciting industry. More than ever before, in order to accomplish Booking.com's mission ("making it easier for everyone to experience the world"), we need to offer a frictionless payment experience. In that context, the Payments department is in charge of creating delightful payment experiences for bookers and merchants alike, and help internal clients (Accommodations, Transportation, Attractions, ...) grow their businesses.
PayData team is responsible for implementing end-to-end pluggable data-pipelines and reporting frameworks for the payments business unit. The team cares about the quality, integrity, consistency, and completeness of data flows, data reports, and data storage; handling monitoring and alerting to maintain the quality of our data pipelines. The main focus is to steer and implement initiatives towards pluggable tools and frameworks; to increase the exposure of internal services' data and allowing data analytics to be conducted on the streamed data flows, guaranteeing high-quality standards for all micro-services ecosystem using top-notch technologies and best practices. The team is also responsible for spreading the culture of data engineering by providing training and guidelines.
Being a Senior Data Engineer you are responsible for the development, performance, quality, and scaling of our data pipelines, with a special focus on data quality and streaming. You will work independently and will also be making technical decisions within a team.
Key aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly crafting and developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance data pipelines, platforms and frameworks;
- Identifying and solving issues with data pipelines regarding consistency, integrity, and completeness
- Prioritizing based on customer impact, and building solutions that prevent them from happening again by detecting and resolving root causes
- Having end-to-end ownership of data quality in our core datasets and data pipelines
- Driving exploration of new tools and technologies to meet business requirements regarding performance, scaling, and data streaming
- Building and providing tools that improve Data Quality business-unit wide
- Making integrations between multiple applications, tools, and services, both on premise and in the cloud
- Providing self-organizing tools and frameworks that help the analytics community discover data, assess quality, explore usage, and find peers with needed expertise
- Defining and building effective monitoring of data, and jumping in to handle outages
- Acting as a technical leader for resolving problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Mentoring, coaching, and steering colleagues across technical challenges
- Ability to work alone and self-steer initiatives; influencing the community of developers
- Drive the culture across the business unit for data quality and its best practices
- Supporting the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
Are you a data-driven engineer who enjoys solving problems, who initiates solutions and technical discussions? Do you believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools?
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the field, working with systems and data infrastructure at scale
- Proficiency in 1 or more server side programming languages -- preferably Scala, Java, Python, Perl, etc.
- Experience with crafting and building large scale data pipelines in distributed environments with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, HBase, MySQL, etc.
- Proven experience with SQL, HQL, CQL, etc.
- Hands on experience of developing in and working on the open source data technologies
- Ability to drive and take the lead in projects from a technical perspective
- Ability to understand and formulate meaningful business metrics
- Good understanding of basic analytics and machine learning concepts
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering
- Excellent communication (written and spoken) and stakeholder management.
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world-renowned product, and seeing the real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Be part of a truly international fast-paced environment and performance-driven culture
- Various opportunities to grow technically and personally via side projects, hackathons, conferences, and your involvement in the community
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- A performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- With over 70 different nationalities within the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and grow your career in a multicultural environment
- We value the diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.