At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
Central Product will bridge the Booking of today into the Booking of tomorrow, and lead the evolution of Booking from a single product company to a multi-product offering company with an unprecedented, personalised travel experience at the heart of its success.
More than ever before, in order to accomplish Booking.com's mission ("making it easier for everyone to experience the world"), we need to offer a frictionless payment experience. In that context, the Payments department is in charge of creating delightful payment experiences for bookers and merchants alike, and help internal clients (Accommodations, Transportation, Attractions, ...) grow their businesses.
As a Principal Developer you own the technical strategy and co-create and drive the tactical plan to achieve the goals, you are a mentor and a strategists who oversee and execute technical tasks with excellence.
- Leads design of a successful highly distributed, large scale platform that has a major impact on the internal and external users
- Serves as a back-end tech lead on large scale projects
- Hands-on development of proof of concepts and evaluation of new technologies
- Implement technical strategic decisions in cross functional teams
- Works closely with product owners and engineers to design, implement, continually improve highly scalable applications and services
- Provides technical guidance to other team members
- Maintains a current understanding of industry and technology trends
- Communicates and enforces coding standards
- 12+ years of software development experience, minimum 3 years in lead/architect role
- Experience and understanding about how to develop and operate strategic systems
- Proven hands-on experience in designing, building, improving and operating high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems in fast growing environment
- Expert knowledge of computer science, with strong competencies SOA, migration and cloud
- Ability to design and solve complex business problems by writing simple, effective code
- Eager to work in multiple programming languages and frameworks and constantly striving to raise technical excellence
- Ability to convince, provide work direction and leadership to colleagues who do not directly report to this role
- Experience mentoring and growing (senior) developers, not through reporting lines, but through thorough and convincing communication is preferred
- Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to use data to influence and drive decisions
- Strong customer focus and passion for doing the right thing for the custome r
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com