Principal Developer - Core Infrastructure - Developer Experience
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip so see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Booking.com is looking for a Principal Developer Developer Experience to join our Core Infrastructure department at our Amsterdam headquarters.
Our mission at Booking.com is to create visionary, innovative, and personalized travel experiences for millions of customers all across the world. We want customers to have an amazing experience wherever and whenever they choose: mobile, web, and through partners and 3rd parties.
To make all this possible, our developers expect best-of-class tools and platforms to build on. We have a diversity of products both in market and planned, ranging from classic programming languages integrated with our HTML templating solutions to modern Java, Golang, node.js and Kubernetes. We require easy to use CI/CD, environments for rapid development of SOA and microservice architectures, code collaboration tools, and more. We aim to enable more innovation and faster time to value, and always reduce toil as much as possible. The experience of designing features, writing code, testing, debugging, deploying and experimenting should be seamlessly integrated to the product lifecycle.
We reduce barriers to adopt new technologies giving our developers more freedom to choose whatever technologies make sense for their service. Our architecture will enable each service to be continuously integrated and deployed independently at scale. The developer experience is the key foundation to all of these goals.
- Leads design of a successful highly distributed, large scale platform that has a major impact on the internal and external users
- Serves as a back-end tech lead on large scale projects
- Hands-on development of proof of concepts and evaluation of new technologies
- Implement technical strategic decisions in cross functional teams
- Works closely with product owners and engineers to design, implement, continually improve highly scalable applications and services
- Provides technical guidance to other team members
- Evangelizes design patterns on the company level
- Maintains a current understanding of industry and technology trends
- Communicates and enforces coding standards
- 12+ years of software development experience, minimum 3 years in lead/architect role
- Experience and understanding about how to develop and operate strategic systems to ensure scalability and high availability
- Proven hands-on experience in designing, building, improving and operating high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems in fast growing environment
- Expertise with and passion for developer productivity workflow and tools (CI/CD, language stack support, software development lifecycle, testing strategies). Ideally also for Kubernetes and cloud.
- Experience with service oriented architecture (SOA)
- Extensive experience with software development processes
- Expert knowledge of computer science, with strong competencies in data storage and processing
- Ability to design and solve complex business problems by writing simple, effective code
- Eager to work in multiple programming languages and frameworks and constantly striving to raise technical excellence
- Ability to convince, provide work direction and leadership to colleagues who do not directly report to this role
- Experience mentoring and growing (senior) developers, not through reporting lines, but through thorough and convincing communication is preferred
- Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to use data to influence and drive decisions
- Strong customer focus and passion for doing the right thing for the customer
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Back to top