Principal Developer - China Tech
- Shanghai, China
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth's #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travelers and the accommodation partners.
You will be joining the Accommodation Shanghai organization. Your focus will be to make sure customers are happy with the Booking.com guests apps, by making sure those apps are fast and reliable, and provide the best accommodation product to customers with the best price.
- Leads design of a successful highly distributed, large scale platform that has a major impact on the internal and external users
- Serves as a tech lead on large scale projects
- Hands-on development of proof of concepts and evaluation of new technologies
- Implement technical strategic decisions in cross functional teams
- Works closely with product owners and engineers to design, implement, continually improve highly scalable applications and services
- Provides technical guidance to other team members
- Maintains a current understanding of industry and technology trends
- Communicates and enforces coding standards
- 7+ years of software development experience, minimum 2 years in lead/architect role
- Experience and understanding about how to develop and operate strategic systems
- Proven hands-on experience in designing, building, improving and operating high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems in fast growing environment
- Experience with service oriented architecture (SOA) is preferred
- Extensive experience with software development processes
- Expert knowledge of computer science, with strong competencies in data storage and processing
- Ability to design and solve complex business problems by writing simple, effective code
- Eager to work in multiple programming languages and frameworks and constantly striving to raise technical excellence
- Ability to convince, provide work direction and leadership to colleagues who do not directly report to this role
- Experience mentoring and growing developers, not through reporting lines, but through thorough and convincing communication is preferred
- Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to use data to influence and drive decisions
- Strong customer focus and passion for doing the right thing for the customer
- Experience on Web frontend and Mobile development is preferred
We are a performance-based company that offers career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential. We also offer what we call the "Booking Deal" with other competitive perks and benefits. The Technology department offers training and attends/speaks at global conferences.
This position is open to worldwide candidates and in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Shanghai.
Back to top