Manager of Infrastructure - Container Compute
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
It wasn't so long ago that booking a trip so see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York's iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that's what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we're busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Our mission at Booking.com is to create visionary, innovative, and personalized travel experiences for millions of customers all across the world. We want customers to have an amazing experience wherever and whenever they choose: mobile, web, and through partners and 3rd parties.
To make all this possible, our developers expect best-of-class platform to build on. At Booking we maintain a highly available, highly scalable, Kubernetes platform that drives much of our compute needs. This core service requires resilience and security to be continually in mind, while providing internal customers the features they require to be productive. We aim to enable more innovation and faster time to value, and always reduce toil as much as possible. The experience of designing features, writing code, testing, debugging, deploying and experimenting should be seamlessly integrated to the product life cycle.
We reduce barriers to adopt new technologies giving our developers more freedom to choose whatever technologies make sense for their service. Our architecture will enable each service to be continuously integrated and deployed independently at scale. The developer experience is the key foundation to all of these goals.
As a Manager of Infrastructure, you are responsible for leading a group of teams who develop and operate all the tools and systems related to our container compute environment, along with other core infrastructure services.
We hire the best and the brightest professionals, and we empower individuals rather than restrict them.
Your role is to support your teams and help them to grow toward their goals. You get things done via collaboration, not authority. You unlock the creativity of your team and inspire them to build the best for our customers. You are comfortable with ambiguity, but also great at driving ambiguity down. You lean heavily on iteration, and you believe failure, and failing fast, is a part of learning. You work closely with our product owners to ensure we are always working towards what's most important for our customers. And you take full end to end ownership for your area.
This also includes:
- Lead a growing group of agile Development/SRE teams
- Coach and develop team leads as well as team members
- Attract, hire, develop and retain technical talent from around the world
- Organize team structure to achieve strategic business priorities
- Create strong partnerships to drive multi-functional projects forward
- Act as an intermediary for complaints and problems
- Manage performance of teams and individuals reporting to you
- 2+ years experience in management of bigger organizations (30+ people, manager of managers)
- Diverse managerial experience including a combination of big and start-up organization
- Background in software and systems engineering
- Experience operating Kubernetes at scale
- Independent, pragmatic, and proactive work attitude
- Past experience as a developer with high impact is a plus
- Experience working on large scale websites is a plus
This position is open to candidates worldwide and for the right candidates we provide Visa and Relocation assistance.
IT is the core of our business and we ensure that we give the best 'deal' possible, to our employees. Here is what you get:
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world-renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work
- Working in a fast-paced and performance-driven culture
- Career Advancement via Online and On-the-job training, Hackathons, Conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Back to top