Manager of Data Engineering - Enterprise Data Management
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
Since Booking.com started facilitating bookings in 1996, the amount of data produced and consumed has increased in unimaginable proportions (~20TB/day), certainly from the perspective of our founders. The last decade, open source data tools (Hive, Spark, Cassandra and Kafka) running on large internal server parks enabled hundreds of colleagues working closely with data to produce various data products, e.g. in Machine Learning and Analytics. As the community has grown, so have the number of challenges around working with data. Providing flexible compute resources introduced the onset of clouds in parallel to a heavily utilized on-premise environment. Governments introduce standards for personal data protection. A growing and physically more disconnected employee-base is less able to share tribal knowledge regarding data finesses. Hence the establishment of 'Enterprise Data Management', a group governing the production and consumption of data, so it can be trusted and understood.
You would work as a Manager of Data Engineering for EDM. You are a technical subject matter expert and organisational leader who drives data engineering strategies and delivery for a team, through hands-on execution and people management. Working closely with other technology and product leads, you will drive the data engineering development plan for your team and lead the capacity planning for its execution. You will guide the day-to-day activities of your team members, providing technical direction and actively contributing to the work. You lead identification of data engineering skill gaps within your team and drive development of tools, materials, and training to bridge these gaps.
- Support the data requirements of new and existing solutions by developing scalable and extensible physical data models that can be operationalised within the company's workflows and infrastructure
- Drive efficiency and resilience by mapping data flows between systems and workflows across the company
- Ensure standardisation by following design patterns in line with global and local data governance requirements
- Support real-time internal and customer-facing actions by developing real-time event- based streaming data pipelines
- Enable rapid data-driven business decisions by developing efficient and scalable data ingestion solutions
- Drive high-value data by connecting different disparate datasets from different systems into a well-managed unified solution
- Own end-to-end data and data applications by defining, monitoring and adjusting relevant SLIs and SLOs
- Handle, mitigate and learn from incidents in a manner that improves the overall system health
- Ensure accuracy by developing criteria, automation, and processes for data production, transport, transform, and storage
- Ensure compliance with data- related requirements by building solutions in line with all applicable standards and regulations
- Ensure ongoing resilience of data processes by monitoring system performance and acting proactively identifying bottlenecks, potential risks, and failure point that might degrade overall quality
- Build software applications by using the relevant development languages and applying in- depth knowledge of the systems, services and tools used by the specific business area
- Write readable and reusable code by applying standard patterns and using standard libraries
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in data engineering and related technologies, introducing them to the community and promoting their application in areas where they can generate impact
- Actively contribute to Data Engineering at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues
- Push for improvements, scaling and extending data engineering tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams
You are a role model of the Booking.com values:
- Thrive on change and gets things done
- Demand a high standard of excellence in their craft
- Embrace the opportunity to improve
- Understand success starts with accountability and ownership
- Care more about being successful and reaching goals together than individually
- Curious, experiments and continuously learns
- Humble, open, friendly and remember that diversity gives us strength
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of experience in a data engineering or related field using a server side programming languages, preferably Scala, Java, Python, or Perl
- 4+ years of experience building data pipelines and transformations at scale, with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, HBase, MySQL
- 2+ years of experience in data modeling,
- 2+ years of experience handling data streaming
- Requirements of special knowledge/skills
- Intermediate knowledge of data modeling methods based on best practices, e.g. TOGAF
- Intermediate knowledge of data governance requirements based on best practices, e.g. DAMA, and tooling for continuous automated data governance activities
- Strong knowledge of data quality requirements and implementation methodologies
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Various opportunities to grow technically and personally via side projects, hackathons, conferences and your involvement in the community.
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the "Booking Deal" including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- Generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam
- With over 70 different nationalities within the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and grow your career in a multicultural environment.
We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top