Linux System Engineer
We believe that the passion and talent of our employees is our strength - it is what drives us towards outstanding performance. We offer a dynamic, motivating and sophisticated work environment. A culture that is open, innovative and performance orientated. Our scale and scope, commitment to people and high standards of integrity make Booking.com a great place to work.
As a member of one of the security teams, you will participate in the defense of one of the world's leading e-commerce organizations. You will be given the freedom to make meaningful and measurable improvements impacting millions of people by assessing, deploying, configuring, and maintaining services running on 30,000+ servers across multiple data centers around the world!
- Design, develop and implement solutions that improve the security posture of our production (linux) platform;
- Take ownership of one or more services in production platform and have the freedom to do what is needed to protect our business and customers;
- Create system health/performance dashboards to provide visibility into monitored services for our Security Operations Center, and jump in to handle outages;
- Consult IT infrastructure teams on security best practices for their infrastructure projects;
- Build, enhance and maintain tooling and scripts to automate repetitive tasks;
- Manage issues proactively, monitor user experience, and identify opportunities to automate remediation of issues;
- Work closely with the end user and strive for the reduction of friction;
- Support in creating structural solutions instead of workarounds;
- Collaborate in the design and development of business-critical systems to meet security requirements and anticipate risk;
- Mentor, coach and steer more junior colleagues across technical and conceptual challenges;
- Contribute to Booking.com’s growth through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- At least 5 years experience working in a Linux systems engineering position working on designing, implementing and maintaining large, complex and scalable system infrastructures;
- Strong Linux administration and troubleshooting skills;
- Proven scripting and automation experience;
- Robust understanding of IT fundamentals across networking, system integration and administration, and application layers in hardware and/or cloud services/environments.
- Configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef or SaltStack;
- Creative and not afraid to step outside of your comfort zone;
- Fluent in the English language both spoken and written.
Exposure to the following is an advantage:
- Good understanding of IT security concepts at both a technical and procedural level.
- Logging infrastructure and tools such as Logstash, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Graphite, Splunk, and HDFS;
- Network administration, troubleshooting
- Familiarity at least one programming language. For example with Python, Golang, perl, and/or Java;
- Understanding of industry standards and best practices to cyber security monitoring and defense.
We are a performance-based company that offers career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential. We also offer what we call the "Booking Deal" with other competitive perks and benefits. The Technology department has hackathons, training and attends/speaks at global conferences.
This position is open to worldwide candidates and in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have successfully relocated 300+ hi-tech professionals to Amsterdam in the last year!
The hiring company Booking.com BV is the company behind Booking.com™, the market leading online accommodation reservation service in the world. Booking.com BV is looking for a Linux System Engineer in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. All references to "Booking.com" refer to Booking.com BV.
Meet Some of Booking.com's Employees
Partner Marketing Manager
Julie determines which marketing programs will deliver the strongest results for Booking.com business partners in order to ensure long, strong, and successful relationships.
Back to top