Lead Developer - Experiences
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
Are you frustrated by how hard it is still to plan trips? By the fragmentation of information and the varying levels of trust in the different entities you deal with while planning a trip or traveling? We know that travel means more than a hotel room. The places you visit, the things you see, the people you meet; there are countless moments that shape every travel experience. Delivering this mission is the focus of the Experiences team. Based in Amsterdam, we're a thriving group of curious, fast-paced and focused people who are dedicated to bringing innovation to the travel market. We're looking for an Senior Developer & Team Leader who likes getting stuck into new business development, influencing new tech solutions and building products from scratch.
As a Lead you ask the right questions to the right people in order to align our business strategy with their area, demonstrating broad business knowledge and fierce customer-focus. You take the lead in developing the community and inspire others to do their best work. You are a role model, mentor and strategist who execute technical tasks with excellence.
- People Leadership
- Inspire and motivate multiple cross functional product teams
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating and advocate for a collaborative working environment - turn "my ideas" into "our ideas"
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
- Foster a great culture that innovates, work together as a team, partner with other Booking.com com teams and roles and celebrates unified success
- Respects the Booking.com values and uses them as a guide to the way we work
- Technology, Craft & Delivery
- Mastery in technology leadership including shaping ways of working
- Engineering delivery, combining hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members.
- Solve business problems, work cross-functionally and lead initiatives to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com's Experiences Tech organization
- Delivery of the wider Engineering strategic objectives
- Embed Agile ways of working and values within the organisation
- Get into the technical detail where required to coach, support and mentor the team
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Drive a culture of ownership and technical excellence, including reactive work such as incident escalations
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to share learning's and apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Architecture & Product Strategy
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Build new products, processes and operational plans
- Negotiate on the strategic importance of own product roadmap features
- Drive innovation in own team
- You are a humble and thought technology leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates respect through your actions and not your title
- You have strong programming skills and experience with 2+ server-side programming languages
- You have 10+ years of experience as a Software Developer, you've worked with web applications, distributed systems
- Experience in working on similar type of product(s) that impact customers as our scales
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels
- You have driven successful technical, business and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality
- You have a 'can do' attitude and you act proactively and not reactively
- Prior experience with mentoring, coaching and influencing team members
- Strong stakeholder management experience, strong business and technical vision
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful
- Solution oriented and result driven, Analytical skills and data-driven mindset,
- You are a humble and thought technology leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates respect through your actions and not your title.
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Back to top